Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

lump question

brickitallbrickitall Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have just went through my first bag of lump that was provided when i bought my egg. should i go back with the green egg lump or can i use the lump from wal-mart?
·

Comments

• DAC2DAC2 Posts: 66
    Royal Oak Lump makes BGE charcoal. Make sure it is the RO made in USA. Check out nakedwhiz.com there is a lump comparison page there.
    ·
  • timctimc Posts: 28
    I'm still pretty new to charcoal grilling myself, but I would just be bold and try something new. You'll never know what it's like until you try it. If you need some advice, you could look at some rankings. As far as I know, there isn't anything magical about the Big Green Egg branded stuff, although it is better than some.
    ·
  • I use Cowboy. I get it at Ace Hardware for $11.99 for 18 lbs. BGE stuff costs way more. Check out the lump database and see what you can find in your area.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Faith
    Tampa
    ·
  • I've been using Wegman's. It's $5.99 for a 10 lb. bag here in NJ. It's cleaner (less dust and tiny stuff) than BGE and it burns about the same as far as I can tell. Unfortunately, it's a seasonal item with the two Wegmans I can get to. I've started buying a few extra bags every time we go to stock up for the winter.
    ·
  • Smokin' TSmokin' T Posts: 259
    I use cowboy $11.99 for 20lbs @ Ace Hardware or Royal Oak $7.49 for 10lbs. (made in USA) at Walmart . Both do a great job and are cheaper than BGE lump. ;) ;)

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl.
    ·
  • rosrosrosros Posts: 408
    I have been using Royal Oak Star Grill from ace hardware. Costs 11.99 for 20lbs. Store mgr and fellow egger says same as the BGE stuff. Every bag I have had mostly large and med pieces. Sometines I need smaller pieces to fill in the voids or for the mini. Some pieces do not fit into the egg.
    ·
  • Nakedwhiz says that Royal Oak makes charcoal for BGE and saves their best for BGE charcoal
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag5.htm
    ·
  • OKCeggerOKCegger Posts: 38
    I can get Ozark Oak here in Oklahoma City at Crest Foods for like $4.95 a 10lb bag. It's great stuff, so you might look around besides just Wal-Mart.
    ·