Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket replacement alternatives - help!?

Options
New Egg
New Egg Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I did it and only after about 6 uses - I've burnt off the gasket. I was told it would happen by the salesperson, and he was right.

However - I think the factory gasket is useless - is there a better idea out there?

A plastic coating or something from the automotive world?

If you have tried something and its worked - please share.

If you have tried something and its "blown up" - please - warn me off.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Simply call your dealer back and they will give you a newer Nomex gasket for replacement. If not, call the mother ship in Atlanta and they will. Then use 3M 77 spray adhesive to put it on. Make sure you have the tightest seal possible or your gasket may burn. Use a dollar bill to test all the way around. Should be tight everywhere!
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Take a search on the forum - tons and I mean tons of post on the gasket issue. Good news is you can still use your egg until you figure out a solution: 1) replace with std gasket. 2) install nomex gasket. 3) install a rutland gasket or 4) do nothing. There's the 3m spray adhesive or the RTV high temp gasket material that was recommended to me recently - and used and so far so good.

I'd certainly press your salesman and/or the Mother Ship for a replacement nomex gasket set.

Take some time and read up - it's all out here in the forum posts.

Good luck!
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    Be sure to specify Hi temp nomex gasket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just ordered replacement gasket from the mothership and received the "JUNK" felt stuff!!!! :angry:
  • Paul58
    Paul58 Posts: 79
    Options
    Mother ship sent me a replacement nomex gasket for free when my felt gasket fell off shortly after purchasing it. The nomex is awesome, probably twice the thickness of the felt and holds that thickness better. I initially installed it using the 3M 77 spray adhesive but it started to pull away again, so I use Master #11 Black RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant my sone-in-law (a mechanic) recommended, it's rated to 600 degrees. Have had no problems since!
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    Nomex and 3m 77
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    The Cotronics line of ceramic gasket materials and Rutland fiberglass gaskets are vastly superior to the BGE product.Check out Naked whiz for demo of Rutland installation and Cotronics.com for their website.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    just a general FYI.

as a user of one of these brands, i will add that BGE and rutland (don't know if coltronics has weighed in) both say NOT to use the woven gaskets around food.

the issue is one of friable fibers theoretically being able to get into your food, and causing inspecific issues after that.

just wanted to point out that the mothership is (as far as i know) officially against using those two gaskets
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    There are some alternatives out there, I am not that familiar with them however. I had to change out the felt gasket, went with the nomex and 3M Super 77 adhesive. Do a search, and check out the video on gaskets on Fred's Music and BBQ's website. Heat will shrink the nomex a bit, so throw it in the dryer on high heat before installing.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Stike - Talked to Bruce @ BGE a coupla days ago and he did not advise against using Cotronics (no Rutland, though). I have installed Cotronics #397-41 on three large Eggs using Permatex 26B RTV. No problems, no masking which is required when using Super 77..
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I was happpy using a permatex RTV 700 degree product. I like running a bead of gasket material vs the spray.
  • stike
    Options
    coltronics is essentially the same thing. spun fibers.

the issue with the rutland isn't chemical, it's mechanical, or physical. that the fibers (again, in theory) could either get in the food and cause problems in your digestive tract, or they'd be airborne and inhaled.

physically, the coltronics is also spun fiber woven into a braid, right? least that's what it looks like to me.

maybe they don't abrade like fiberglass does.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Cotronics is made of ceramic fibers. What is the Egg made of???
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    The MSDS available on the Coltronics website, lists the material as being non-toxic.
  • stike
    Options
    fiberglass is non-toxic too. it's mechanical though, a physical thing. toxicity is another matter altogether. water is non-toxic, but you can drown if it gets into your lungs, for example. that's a mechanical issue, not chemical

i'm just saying, it's not inherently any safer than the rutland just because it is ceramic.

i have a rutland, so i am not saying not to use them. i'm just saying that as far as we knew from the last time this came up, the coltronic ceramic fiber gasket has also not been approved by BGE or the coltronics (the company) for use around food.
  • stike
    Options
    that has nothing to do with anything.

fiberglass is made of glass. what is your martini glass made of? by your logic, it ould be ok to ingest fiberglass insulation

it is a MECHANICAL issue. the physical properties of fine fiber (glass or ceramic) coming off and causing physical issues by MECHANICALLY interfering is what the issue is.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Eating the locust, cricket and grasshopper could probably cause more immediate discomfort. If I live to be 120, the grandchildren of the worms that partake of my mortal remains will probably have a bellyache because I ate food from an EGG that had a Cotronics or Rutland gasket. That's their problem. I'm guessin' that any possible microscopic particles ingested will make it to the Hershey highway anyway. I'll take my chances rather than deal with BGE gaskets any day.
  • stike
    Options
    well, as i said, i have a rutland. you and i are in agreement. hahaha

i was just explaining that BGE hasn't ever "ok'd" the coltronics, and that just because it is ceramic doesn't mean it's any better than the rutland as far as the perceived issue of "danger". the have only really ever been asked formally about the rutland, and they checked with rutland directly who said it "hasn't been approved for use around food".

my point about the whole carmaic-not-being-toxic point that someone made was that toxicity isn't the issue.

no one dies from asbestos poisoning.

i'm gonna go cook.
    peace, bro