Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Chile Burger

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The other night we were watching some Tivo'd Bobby Flay programs and saw the one where he challenged a guy in New Mexico to a Throwdown on Green Chile Burgers.

We must have been very hungry because suddenly we wanted a green chile burger the way the guy from New Mexico did it.

so we got some poblano peppers and onions and sliced them up pretty thin. We had also picked up some pre-made Angus chuck patties on sale which I splinkled generously with DP Raising The Steaks. We were set.

The guy did his on a griddle so I got my Griddle Q and put it on Lily Large. Heated it up nicely to about 400° and put the meat on, then the onions and then the peppers which I had roasted a couple of days ago.

When done we just put the meat on the bun, added a slice of cheese, and piled on some pepper and onions. Nothing else.

We had our doubts but the results were surprisingly good. A little rich maybe but very tasty.

Here's the video just using the software in my Flip video camera. The only editing I could think to do was wipe the grin off my face.

th_GreenChiliBurger.jpg

Enjoy

Spring "Green With Chile" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    very nice! made me want one....now! :):)
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    nice snappy tunes, goes well with the burgers you made.
  • Fencewire
    Options
    Spring,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the guy in the competition was using roasted peppers and then reheated the chopped chili on the griddle.

There is another variation that I learned, also from Flay. Roast some onions and poblano/hatch, peel the skin off the hatch, toss the onions, chilis, a roasted or raw garlic, some oil and a little honey into a blender or food processor, then you've got a "green chili" pesto of sorts to put on the burger.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Leroy,
    Very, very nice. It's not fair you can't get decent poblanos in the north.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    As I said in the post, I had roasted the peppers a couple of days before. All we had to do was toss 'em on the griddle with the onions. I think slicing was enough to get them ready to put on top of the meat. No need for messing up a food processor. The honey sounds interesting but it wasn't used in the show, nor was roasted garlic. Just garlic out of a bottle.

I also used olive oil in the griddle. Probably should have used Pam. Too oily.

I think it turned out close enough to meet our needs. Any more would have been over-kill. We just wanted to try it to see if we could duplicate what he did. Now we revert back to our regular hamburgers.

Spring "Eggspirmenting With The Stuff Of A TV Show" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Come on back to the Chicken Ranch and I'm pretty sure we can do one up for you.

Spring "Right Side Ranch Hand" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    It was, wasn't it... It was one of the tunes in the Flip solftware. I could have left the music out or turned the volume down.

Spring "Flipped Off" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Well Steve, you can always move to Texas. If it don't cool down pretty soon we might even entertain an offer on the Chicken Ranch.

Spring "Dave's Pepper Palace Is Just A Few Blocks Away" Chicken
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Leroy,

We have had two days above 90* this year. Wanna trade? Is that Dave DeWitt's?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    Options
    Spring that looks great! Love your videos too. I was in New Mexico a couple of months ago and ate several green chili cheese burgers, now you've got me cravin some big time!

Great Job!
  • Large Marge
    Options
    no way! that music was sweet - kind of reminded me of the sausage-making music Kramer and Newman played while cranking em out
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Looking very tasty....now you'll have to do it again next week with the Hatch Peppers that are in town. Just saying....I'll be at Central Market this weekend for a few pounds.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX