Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I had some SPARE time on my hands today...

Options
thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC08475a.jpg

...so I put some spare ribs on the Egg.

DSC08474a.jpg

DSC08479a.jpg

The jumbo dog was lunch. This thing put the S in schnitzengruben. Heheee...

DSC08481a.jpg
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Great looking ribs there.

Do you have wheels for that hot dog, that is huge. :)

GG
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I think I saw that dog driving down the road last week. :laugh:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Jumbo indeed!

I really dig the simple seasoning approach...looking mighty tasty.
  • Steeler Fan
    Options
    Everytime, I see your posts, reminds why I have never bought a camera. By the way your salmon and pastrami recipes have made me look so goooood. Before YB or somebody pipes up not my looks my cooking skills. Thanks Joe.
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    Options
    That dog is ridiculous! How far along are the ribs in the pic? What temp are you running?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice pics/cooks Wayne!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    That's a nice rack of ribs. Do you always trim out your spare ribs?
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Good looking ribs, almost looks like a little sprinkling of coarse ground pepper. I've been adding that too some of my cooks ever since I did the pastrami. I trust you had some help with the dog...
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • thirdeye
    Options
    By the time the dog got in the picture, the ribs had been on the pit for 3-1/2 hours. I started low, and had ramped it up to 275°.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    DSC08462a.jpg

Do you always trim out your spare ribs?

Oh no, I prefer cooking the slab whole....real ribs.

But on Friday I prepped 9 slabs for a big barbecue, (the host was busy prepping 60 pieces of chicken, 50 polish sausages and two smoked meat loafs), so I actually got the better end of the deal. :laugh: As it turned out, he bought way too many ribs to fit on one of the smokers, and I took one of the slabs home with me. (along with that giant dog). The pictures end after the first turn, when I split. It sounds like they were a big hit with his guests.

The trade worked out good because my MIL's 88th birthday party is Tuesday and she loves barbecued ribs. I gave them a sweet finish in foil. I wanted to keep the trim for cooking beans, so everybody will be happy.

DSC08464a.jpg

DSC08470a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    Actually, that was a base of garlic pepper, then some Rudy's Rub (which has a couple different grinds of pepper in it), and topped off with Plowboys Yardbird Rub. I mopped them with a NC vinegar concoction to help develop that good color.

No, no help.... I had the full dog for lunch. It was great, and a real treat for me. It was Sunday, after all. I don't really eat a lot of the barbecue I cook, so certain things like that dog are really good.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    My family likes the spare ribs whole also - thought I was alone given all the rib pics. Sounds like your cook was a win-win. Good luck with the bean cook.

BTW my jerky is still smoking, no. 2 son said to cook it longer. I must say it's looking a lot better than my first jerky cook.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Nice ribs, TE, I especially liked the texture of the bark.

And what's your limit on schnitzengruben? :lol: