Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

request for help first time purchase

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1) Ok my mind is made up
2) This rates as a once in a life time purchase
3) All suggestions appreciated
4) I am based in an upper midwest state (I.E. snow (yuk))
5) Where is the best place to purchase (I.E. cheap with shipping)
a large. And possibly a small? A mini?
6) Would you get a large and a small? (remember I can do this kind of
purchase only ONCE according to the wife)
7) My main reason is for beef briskets (weekly), seared steaks (as
often as possible), fish (as often as possible) smoked turkey
(bi-monthly), smoked duck (monthly), smoked chicken as often as
possible, lamb when it is on sale, a goose once a year (really
greasy for me, but family wants), and the usual hunting meats as
season allows. I have in
the past done sausages of varying types, and I love smoked fish. [p]What I would appreciate is hearing the cheapest possible place with shipping for a large & nest, wether or not a small/mini should be gotten at the same time (wife only sees one bill), and accessories that should be gotten at the same time (like the BBQ guru) and whatever else should be added to the bill (like a patio heater:) ) [p]Thanks![p]

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Glad you have decided on the BGE, Jon. You won't be sorry. I didn't see where you were located, but if you are within a day's drive of Atlanta, the best place to get an Egg would be at EGGtoberfest on October 18. Check the EGGtoberfest link on the main forum page for all the details. You won't find a better price. If you can't do that, let us know where you are and I'm sure you will get lots of great suggestions.[p]Jim
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Jon Martin,[p]Check out hearthside distributors at the link below. I've purchased from them and they have free shipping and the best prices I have seen on the net.

[ul][li]Hearthside distributors[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    Options
    Jon Martin,
    First, I assume you have checked your area to find a place that sells BGE? I would buy a large. We were undecided but no regrets yet. Besides meats don't forget pizza, chessy potatoes (yummy smokey flavor) and endless other things. We too saw this as a last purchase. We live in Ill. so look forward to slow cooks in the winter. Don't forget to get a temp probe so you don't have to go out in the bitter cold!!!

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Jon Martin,
    Okay..since you can only have one bill...go for the large and the small. They make a great pair. You can do sides (baked beans, grilled veggies, potatos...) on your small while your large is cooking the main dish. You can hook the small to the large and smoke cheese. I think the mini would be too small for what you are planing to cook. It only has a 9.5 inch across grate. I would also get all the accessories you can..... ash tool, grill grippers (or a Lawn Ranger Lifter, but that would have to be a separate purchase), extra grid for making a raised grid, plate setter, pizza stone, pizza peel, MAPP torch, long gloves, any types of wood chunks, and an ample supply of lump. Have fun shopping, and come back to ask questions. [p]~nikki[p]PS- The only good thing in the users manual is the warranty card. Don't beleive anthing else in there.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    nikkig,
    I agree with Nikki. Since it's a one time investment on equipment, I'd do large and small plus accessories; plate setter, pizza stone, etc. You might leave off the MAPP torch; personally, I like the electric starter but you'll want to make sure you've got a Polder-type thermometer.
    Since you're thinking of a patio heater, I'd also suggest a freezer for extra food storage.
    As for best place...use the dealer locator and if there's a dealer within a couple hour drive of you, I'd suggest contacting him. He'll appreciate the business plus you might be able to get a better deal by buying two at one time. A two hour drive is worth the shipping charges.
    Let us know what you decide! Enjoy!

• nikkig
    Options
    Shelby,
    Oops..forgot about the polder. While you are getting a polder, better get a thermapen too. And if your getting a freezer, better get a foodsaver and extra bags. Geesh..does the list never end?[p]~nikki

• Mr. Hyde
    Options
    nikkig,[p]How do you hook the small to the large for smoking cheese?
    [/b]
  • nikkig
    Options
    Mr. Hyde,
    Im not real sure...just seen pics. I think they use flexible dryer hose. One egg has lump, the other just has the cheese. I'm sure someone will post the pics of them. We have contemplated trying to smoke our cheese, but just havent gotten around to doing it.[p]~nikki

• nikkig
    Options
    coldsmoke2.jpg
    <p />Mr. Hyde,
    here is a link and pic of how Chuck does his.[p]~nikki

[ul][li]Chuck's Cold Smoking post[/ul]
  • Thanks All!
    I appreciate the comments & help.
    Currently located in southern Wisconsin -
    The listed dealers have yet to return calls or emails for my area. I am assuming that means that nothing is in stock.[p]