Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where can I get hangar steaks

Options
bbq boy
bbq boy Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen the posts regarding hangar steaks and they all sound so good!!! I called my grocer and he doesn't know what they are. Is there another name they are called by, or do I need to go to a specialty market?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Also Known As: Hanging Tenderloin, Hanging Tender, Butcher's Steak, Onglet, Butcher's Tenderloin,
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • crabby
    crabby Posts: 19
    Options
    Tell your butcher it is the North American Meat Processing (NAMP) # 140. He will know exactly what cut it is.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    me thinks the problem is he asked a "grocer" - not a butcher. Meat guys in most grocery stores nowadays are just stock boys elevated to wearing traditional white jackets and aprons and are stocking meat bins with meats processed elsewhere vs. stocking cereal boxes and baked beans on the shelf!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bbq boy
    bbq boy Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I especially like crabby's response. I spoke to the Meat Manager, who has always been helpful.

With the information you guys provided, we'll be able to figure out pretty quickly if he is a butcher or a "stock boy".

Thanks again, I'm sure your information will help provide me with the steaks that I'm looking for.