Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dealer told me not to buy XL

Options
glc203
glc203 Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to buy an Egg and went to a dealer to look at models. He recommended a large given we're a family of 4 but I asked about the benefits of an XL as we do a lot of entertaining. The dealer then said he doesn't even carry the XL because it is different, a little more oval, and doesn't heat or perform the same.

Seemed like brutally honest feedback to me but I want to check with the users. Thoughts?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    For a family of 4, even with larger cooks, a large should suit your needs well. Unless you plan on cooking more than 6 pork butts, 6-7 racks of ribs and a dozen chicken thighs/breasts, your dealer may have saved you $300.

If you really cok that much, consider a small and a large for the same cost as an XL. This gives you 2 cooking surfaces at different temps.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Very wise advise....I like your thinking B) I agree by the way ;)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Or he can go with the:

1 XL
    2 L
    1 S
    1 mini

route
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    No XL in stock and Large in sock. Wonder why the large recommendation.

It is my wife an I here and once a month or more often we cook for 26. The large can handle the larger cooks if I plan the food.

There are a lot of folks who love there XL's, you should probably listen to their thoughts.

I have a Large, Medium, Small and Mini. It is commonly recommended by the forum not to get and XL rather get a large & small.

I would not recommend the small with the one exception.

Rather if I were doing it all over again, I would seriously look at an XL, Large & Mini or maybe 2 Larges and a Mini.

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    sorry but I'm sticking up for the small eggs in this world! Just like you I have 4 but my tried and trusted workhorse is my small! BTW I too would suggest the combo of a large and a small or in this case he might even be better off with a large and a medium vs XL.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I can appreciate that. As I said above most would recommend the small.

My mini does everything I would want to do if I were using the small. So for me there is no need for the small and I haven't used it in the last 4 months now.

If I thought there were a need for a small I would spend the extra and get a medium or better a second large.

GG
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    It sounds to me that your dealer thinks that the family truckster in pea green is the car for you, to coin a line from the movie Vacation. I would question his motivation and stock on hand. Once again here's the math the XL has 452 cu.inches of grill area,the large has 255 cu.inches of grill area that a difference of 197cu. inches. The medium has 177cu. inches of grill area, the difference between the large and the medium is only 78 cu. inches. If you added the Large and the medium together it would still not equal the XL total grill area. If you had two larges they would only equal 58 cu.inches more grill area than the XL, but takes up a much larger foot print and cost about 400.00 more. To dispel any rumors the XL does not get scary hot and does not have temp runaways, does it use more lump than two larges? Probably not, you only use the amount that you need then shut it down for use another time. A large would be nice and would work great with a little work and a grill extender, a XL would be INMHO easier to use for quik large cooks.The dealer also said the XL is different, there all different and they all cook slightly different. so what? A lot of dodge dealers didn't carry the viper that didn't mean it was not a good car just different I guess.

FireWalker
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    That's funny. I use may small all the time, my large often and my mini once a year! I'd trade you, but I already have two smalls!! Scott
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Interesting.

After the above post I got to thinking how many times I used the small after getting the mini. I have had the mini for over a year now and I have used the small 3 or 4 times since and haven't lit it since late fall last year to do some corn.

GG
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I guess I will come to the defense of the XL's. :laugh: It is as round as the others and the performance is the same if not better especially on the low slow cooks. The dome is a little shorter and the Egg is a bit fatter. The XL was my first and have since got a large. While the large is more pratical for most cooks I do several large cooks a month plus some frequent entertaining. I still use the XL and the large about the same amount....well the large maybe a little more. Both are excelent cookers but unless you do a lot of large cooks the large maybe your better choice. I will be cooking for another wedding rehersal dinner next week. :)

IMG_6723.jpg
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    That's stackinem up :woohoo:

Just give me a few years. :)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Where is your Med? :laugh:
  • lilaccityhearth
    Options
    The dealer should ask your cooking style and foods you like to cook. Than evaluate your needs! To push someone into an egg because that is what is in stock just does a disservice to the shop and Big Green Egg
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    No medium in the plans at all. The large that stayed in Florida is being missed though.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    I'm to the point that I think that there are a lot of dealers that don't give a rat's rear end except about that one big sale of the Egg to begin with. Look at what I went through to get my mini, several dealers didn't carry them, and they wouldn't even order them even when I offered to pay up front. Even a couple that did offer wanted me to pay for freight, even though they were going to piggy back it with an order for other Eggs.

This, to me, is the same thing as an auto dealer that won't work on a car that was sold by another dealer....terribly short sighted. Just give me an honest answer. If you can't do that, then just don't tell me anything!!!!
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Time to fire the Xl for a massive brisket. It may get you over the separation anxiety.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Your talking to Eddie. He knows....
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    I have an XL and live alone.

My largest cooks have been 2 boston butts, 3 slabs of baby back ribs (whole and placed flat on a raised grid).

I love the extra real estate to move food around.

I was used to a 22" Weber Kettle. The large 18" appeared to be much smaller.

I was given the advice of "buy the biggest you can afford, you won't regret it". I don't.

I recently got the XL lump reducing ring and hanger. Great items to keep lump usage down and for T-Rexing a steak close to the coals.

I love the XL. It I had to do it over again, I would still get the XL.

I understand the reasoning and logic and getting a large and small. A very versatile combination.

In the future I will likely end us with a small also.

But my first and favorite BGE will always be the XL.

For people on the bubble:

1st choice: XL
    2nd choice: large/small combo
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I have an XL and a large,for my small cooks the large is fine,but I really do prefer the space of the XL.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Coacher
    Coacher Posts: 22
    Options
    A dealer in Tulsa says the same thing ... While there are good reasons (which have been given) for getting other Green Egg configurations (such as lg and sm), most dealers do not push the XL's simply because they don't want to mess with ordering and stocking them. Hell the profit margin might even be a little tighter on the XL for all I know. If you want an XL, get one.

Bobby
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I use the small 3-4 times a week!!

I just can't see where Kent's comming from on this one...but we all have our likes and dislikes I guess!

I never asked him...but maybe he has one of those Smalls that don't wanna come up to temp!

Egret has one too...just stubborn!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Evans, I am not sure if you have a mini or not but I would think you have had a chance to use one.

I have used the small so little I can't even remember if my small comes up to temperature fast or not or will reach hotter temperatures easily or not.

I can't see any reason to use the small when I have a mini. For me the grid space isn't an issue.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks for the pictures.

I don't think I could cook that much on my large and medium combined.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    It could also be a matter of inventory turns.

GG
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    The biggest issue with the XL is the lid. They had to cut an inch off the firebox and fire ring to give the headroom similar to the Large.

But the thing isn't oval. Your deal should know that. He's pushing you in a direction he wants you to go.

By the biggest ceramic you can afford, egg or not. too much is bette than not enough.
  • glc203
    glc203 Posts: 45
    Options
    Many thanks to all of you for your responses. What I found most unusual about the dealer was that he was implying that the XL is an inferior product to the other sizes. Judging by your feedback, that doesn't seem to be the case. Many thanks.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Kent...

My neighbor would love to find a used Small!!

You sellin'??

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    I have an XL and a MED. When I want to cook a ton of ribs or anything else I use my XL. The main reason I wanted an XL was that I like to make really big pizzas. I can' do that with ease on the XL. Only drawback I see if that it has an insatiable appetite for lump when going over 400*F. For low and slow it's really nice. All that grid space means no tricky stacking or loading. Even when doing 2 layers with the flip ring and hanger.
  • Nicolas_Kershanko
    Options
    You may also want to factor in a couple of other things.

What accessories are available for the large versus the XL and their associated cost.

Are you going to try and make the egg mobile? There is a significant weight difference between the two.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Gene,

Yer not in the Bigs yet son.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON