Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New table, yippe!!

Options
NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well.... my new Taproot table arrived late yesterday and fortunately I have two sons to help get it off the pallet and up on my deck 'cause the table is built like a tank and weighs a "ton" :woohoo:

Sorry I don't have any cooking pics - too busy. I really like the work area and extra shelf I had built. The table is basically a modification of Hitch's new table. My table is 30x60 with an historic slate insert and an extra big second shelf. I realy like being able to walk out of my kitchen and be at the egg.

Can't say enough about how easy and pleasant it is to work with Greig at Taproot.
DSCN0242.jpg
DSCN0243.jpg
DSCN0244.jpg

Now all I need is for my umbrella to show up to provide a little shade for me and an adult beverage. ;)

Next egg project is getting a mini and working with Greg on a table/stand.

Comments

• JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    Options
    Bill,
    Very nice table. What is the surface to the right of the egg made of?
    What kind of wood did you use?
    Did you stain it?
    Jim
    JCinGA
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    That is gorgeous! Don't forget the bottle openers.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    The surface is from a 1916 blackboard from an academy in the Augusta, Ga that was going to be rehab'd and the guys at Taproot saved it.

The wood is treated pine and yes it have been stained.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Don't laugh but I'm looking for an old Stoh's opener. I drank alot of that beer in my youth. Haven't touched it in over 30 years :ohmy:
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    Beautiful...just beautiful Bill.

Greig is great. He always makes sure that customers are 110% satisfied.

That slate prep area is from a recently renovated school in Olde Town Augusta, GA. It was built by John Houghton, and the school was closed after a fire and kept closed till recently. Heritage Academy, an elite school for inner-city kids, now owns the building and is using the school as it was origionally meant to be used. http://www.heritageacademyaugusta.org/

My parents are some of the founders of the school, and my dad was a coordinator for the renovation. My mom is the schools principal and teaches as well. They started with about 10 students in 01, and now have over 100 students and will have k-8th grade next year. The kids are learning things like Latin and Violin....absolutely one of the great stories of renovation and education.

Bill's slate is from one of the original slate backboards that was in the Houghton school. Mine is as well. I love it for so many reasons, but the main one is that my Grandmother attended grade school at Houghton and looked at this exact slate while she was in school 85 years ago or so. Bill is quite fortunate that Taproot used this particular slate as it is in limited supply.

Sorry for the long story, but I wanted to make sure that Bill knew it too. Greig and my dad are both on the Board of Directors of Heritage Academy.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    Great looking table!!!!
    Great history.
    Don't forget to put the feet between the Egg and the paver. The heat transfer will char the support below the paver.
    Wayne
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Told ya it was an historic piece of slate ;) I like history and thank you for sharing.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    I hear ya but I have inquired about that with Taproot and their experience say it'll work and has worked for them for years. I do have pieces of Nomex gasket between the egg and paver.
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    Very impressive table, should last you for many years and when it passes I would keep the slate and make another.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Very nice, I like the slate top. :)
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Spot on, the slate will become an important "keeper" for the Hohensteins.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Sweet looking table ya got there. B)
  • coffeybean
    Options
    I don't have a stroh opener but i do have a keg tapper handle if you might be interested its in great shape says signature stroh B)
  • coffeybean
    Options
    I don't have a stroh opener but i do have a keg tapper handle if you might be interested its in great shape says signature stroh B)
  • coffeybean
    Options
    i found a lighter/bottle opener on ebay the item number is 200355313671 you might want to check it out
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    Options
    Nice table! You will really enjoy that one.
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Nice table. I noticed the hole for the umbrella is right in front of the handle for the dome. Do you have the table oriented the right way? Just an observation. Plus don't forget the feet like someone else mentioned.