Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter & Vertical Turkey Roaster Set-up

Options
BillT
BillT Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sometimes my brain seems to get in the way of progress! I am going to do a large turkey on a vertical turkey roaster and wanted to use an indirect set-up. The typical way I do chickens is to put the plate setter on legs up and then the grid with the vertical chicken roaster. It is a tight fit but the bird seems to miss the temp probe and is wonderful. But the turkey is much bigger and will not fit.[p]Do I put the vertical turkey roaster directly on the plate setter? Can I remove the fire ring and lower everything? I can't be the first guy with this ambition.[p]What is most bothersome is that I did this about two years ago and have forgotten how I did it. That CRS disease will be the end of me![p]Thanks for your input in advance.[p]Bill

Comments

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Bill T, put the Plate Setter on the Fire-ring, legs up. Next is a drip pan, I usually use a disposable aluminum one. Finally the verticle turkey roaster with the bird. If you have a LBGE and a turkey that is not extreemy large, this should work; you still need to be carefil about the thermometer; you might need a spacer to keep it from hitting the turkey.

• BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    CR,[p]I gather you set the vertical roaster right in the drip pan, not on the grid or am I missing something. This would give me the extra clearance that I think I need.[p]Thanks for your responce and hopefully your clarification.[p]Bill
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Bill T, correct. No grid is used in this set-up.