Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father\'s day egg and first cook

Options
ranchonodinero
ranchonodinero Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife and I managed to make it to the giant chicken coop to pick up my father's day egg. The dealer showed the features and explained a bit about cooking with an egg. Got it home and unloaded and re-attached the lid. I couldn't just let it sit there in it's pristine condition.
568664562_GVkjD-S.jpg
So I decided to do some simple boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I marinated the breasts in Italian dressing (didn't have time for a proper marinade) and lit the egg. At first, I didn't think I had it lit, but in a short time I had coals, and got the egg to temp very easily and quickly. I played with the controls to adjust temp and put the breasts on-I set up for indirect using the plate setter and cooked them at 350. I also got to try out the thermapen to confirm they were ready. I'm a novice egg user, but here are my observations: easy to light, and easy to maintain and control temp-this isn't your regular charcoal grill! Now we are talking about simple chicken breasts, but they were moist and juicy-the propane cooker produces a lot of chicken jerky with associated shrinkage, but not with the egg-very pleased!
568670639_ahrdR-M.jpg
Another shot, (Leiny shown for scale) went for the "upgraded" shelves as I haven't decided if I will build a cart or some sort of outdoor kitchen 568691786_FmmMV-M.jpg

Comments