Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am like a kid with a new toy....

Options
Rib Fan
Rib Fan Posts: 305
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
or should I say...I am a big a kid with a new toy. Arrived today....I see some butts in my future this weekend :)
img_0381.jpg

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I am so jealous!! :angry: just like a kid!! :P
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Congratulations! You will really enjoy it. One word of advice. Start your first butt cook early in the am, so you develop confidence in the unit during the daylight hours! I bought mine so I could sleep through the night and STILL had to get up every few hours to check on the temp the first few times! Seems like many of us have an obsessive/compulsive thing here. haha You will learn to trust it completely soon enough. Mark
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    I see a full night's sleep in your future. :cheer:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Congratulations Rib Fan, your going to love it. It may take a little learning and getting used to but the sleep is worth it. I have the same thing on my medium BGE and for cooks around 230° can run the top vent completely closed and the damper on the blower at 50%. A load of lump up to the top of the fire ring will last well past 20 hours. I also love being able to let the DigiQ bring the egg up to temp with no more over shooting when I fire it up for a low and slow. When you light your fire just light a small area in the center and put your plate setter and grate right in on top of it. I clip the pit probe to the grate and the blower will bring the egg up to your set temp and nail it there. You can always relocate the pit probe when you put your meat on if you wish.

Gator
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I'd invest is a cozy lawn chair, cause all you got to do now after the butts are on is sit, ponder life and bend an elbow.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    I must be the only one out there that thinks it's more work with than without. I did Butts for 9 weeks straight and never hooked up the Stoker. Never had a problem.

Then again.....maybe I am just lucky?

Rick in Mt.
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    Weekend Warrior...thanks excellent advice I probably would do the same till I gained confidence. I really appreciate your post.
    Morro Bay Rich....thats the plan :)
    Gator Bait...excellent advice and I was actually going to ask about top vent. As for the damper I have been told anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 so I will have to experiment. Thanks again
    TJV....I actually got a set of bar height cast aluminum chairs and table and plan to make full use of them..thanks :)
    Ric3677, I have done a bunch of overnight cooks. I have had the large for a couple of years. All have turned out great. I would totally recommend to a new egghead that they learn the basics before investing in a guru/stoker type system....but I have had a good year financially (which I worked for btw) and I am a saver rather than a spender...but I could afford it and I have a 3 year old daughter that would rather see her dad awake...lol.
    Also thanks to all those that I have not mentioned but I have "stolen" a recipe or a technique along the way.

Wayne
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    I have the Competitor and love it. It allows me to get a good nights sleep during those overnight cooks.

Cheers,

BeerMike
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Options
    Hope you enjoy, mine will be here Friday,can't wait.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I work shift work so sleep is a very hard to come by and need to get it when I can. "Q" is wonderfull for that. I stick some butt on at 22:00 and go to sleep setting it on "ramp" mode and the pit/food scrolling across. I can read it at night from my kitchen window with banoculars and when I get up around 4:00 for a plumming check I will look at it just to be sure out the window then back to bed till 10:00 or so. Only reason I look at 4:00 is I'm up all ready. You'll lov it.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    congrats, you will love the DigiQ, best acc i have for the BGE. good luck