Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One food item disliked???

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to Pork Butt Mike for giving me the inspiration to start this.

What is the "ONE" food item that you absolutely abhor???

For me it is raw green bell peppers.

Comments

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Hi Richard

Remember Durian from the PI?

That is the absolute worst for me. Fortunately, it doesn't grow here but I've seen it in international stores.

Yeck!!!
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Yew, it is on my long list. BUT for today only one item.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Richard, let me see, I really can't think of anything. :laugh:
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    LIVER
    The Naked Whiz
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Ranch anything....can't get past the smell....
  • EggHeadFred
    EggHeadFred Posts: 123
    Options
    For Me it's Salmon. I just don't like it.

Fred V.
    Smyrna,Ga.
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Pretty liberal "I'll try anything once, twice if I like it". I tried Tripe once. Never again. :sick:

Doug.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    For me it is absolutely cubed smoked bologna. Can't stand the stuff, yet every eggfest I go to it seems some dude keeps shoving a pan full of it at me trying to get me to eat it. :woohoo:

I all seriousness, for me it is cabbage - cooked, raw, or otherwise I just can't eat it. Kimchee and sauerkraut are the worst. Funny thing is that I really enjoy a good cole slaw, but that is the only way I can stand it. The purple stuff is even worse.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    When we were living in Malaysia our next door neighbours door was about 3 feet from ours and they loved Durien. When it was in season they would do the cutting of a fresh durien pretty much every day right there on the front step.

Hold you breath and don't leave the door open very long. Whew.

Doug
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    They are demonic!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i CAN"T STAND those little green turds!!!!! HATE EM!!!! HATEM EM!!!!! HATE EM!!!!! . . .25 years ago, had my wife's grandmother living with us for about 4 months after she had open heart surgery (did anyone ever say i was a saint?!?!!) . .. she loved the damn things and i had to cook em for her all the time ... . i always said, i didn't know what smelled worse, the kitchen while i was cooking them, or nana after she ate them!!!!!

yuck!!!!!!

was I clear enough for everyone?!?!??! LOL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    bacon wrapped chicken livers. i picked that because i didnt try the beaver livers that were once offered to me. :sick: chicken liver wont go down the pipes no matter how long i chew on it. now liverwurst on the other hand is great stuff, ill take that over bologna anyday :lol: the only thing that will get me sitting on a hopper holding a bucket is lettuce, love the stuff but just cant eat it, ill pass on it and eat fidels share of cabbage, especially the purple stuff
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Now that is an interesting twist. For example...I like slaw, but not kraut. I like bread and butter but not dill pickles.
  • Fidel
    Options
    exactly Max -- they are like little stinking baby cabbages.

I hate 'em even more when they grow up!
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Anything with artificial grape flavor. I can smell it a long distance away and it literally makes me sick.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    steamed conch would be another, love conch raw, frittered, chowdered, but steamed ... :sick: no way
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i'll try anything.

i think appreciating a food is a learned behavior. and that any dislike can be overcome.

closest thing to abhorring something was olives. when i was a small boy, maybe, 5 or 6, i ate a can (yes, i know, 'canned') of those ubiquitous black olives while sitting in front of the fridge on thanksgiving day.

i got sick. don't remember if i threw up, but it sure felt like it.

since then, i gagged at the thought of an olive. like getting sick on creme de menthe or jagermeister or strawberry daiquiris. hahaha

but i always knew somehow it was really just a case of my brain telling me they were poison or something, like some reptilian reflex guarding my ancestors against bad berries.

twenty years later, having dinner with my (now) wife, the waiter placed a tray of beautiful looking olives on the table. i mentioned my 'dislike' for them, but said it really was not very intelligent of me to think i now really am disgusted by a flavor that i once really liked. mind over matter. so i picked one up and ate it. and since then i have been 'cured'. hahaha

i firmly believe all food is essentially the same to everyone's tongue, and that it is how we deal with it in the brain that decides whether we like it or not. it's psychological.

in other cultures, they eat things we gag at, and we in turn eat things that disgust others. lobsters are LITERALLY bugs. but we freak if someone eats a scorpion. i wouldn't feel too comfy eating a scorpion either. but i eat lobster.

i firmly believe it's all learned behavior, and changeable. at least in my (NS)HO :laugh:

i almost (almost) have my wife eating stinky feety cheese. the stinging, tennis shoe, musty, insole-flavored bleus can really be a challenge, but they are really good
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Kinda of tuff? I agree
  • stike
    Options
    what about crunchy paella?
    hahaha
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Without question it is:

Brussels Sprouts

Eeew, Yuck, Nasty, Awfull :(
  • Fidel
    Options
    Makes sense. Kinda along the same train of thought of something being an "acquired taste".

Growing up I hated broccoli, but only because it was a vegetable and was culturally portrayed as a nasty necessity. Now it is one of my favorite vegetables.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    I got your back on that brother!!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    they can pound it with hammers for a week and its still not right steamed, fried is good if its been hammered for a week though B) was kinda shocked to not like it since i pretty much love shellfish. guess you cant count it as a disliked food item if its just the prep you dont like, could put wet scollops on top of that list as well, such a difference between dry/day and wet
    fukahwee maine

• Richard Fl
    Options
    Ever eat abalone pounded and fried from the Pacific? Great by me.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    could be the way the old folks cooked it to mush that made it so miserable back then
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    same here. my mom cooked broccoli til it was floppy and grey. hahaha

now we eat it (my youngest LOVES broccoli) almost every other night. the trunks of the stuff can actually be BETTER than the pretty little florets.

got a broccoli story.

ca. 1980, dinner time, interior of a split-level house somewhere in New Hampshire. Family sitting around the table, end of the meal. my brother, the picky one, says "what the..???" and points out small white bugs in the broccoli on his plate. three, four, five or them, not just one.

i look at the (very little) remaining broccoli on my plate, and saw a couple white bugs myself. ...my other brother, and my father found some too. except that we had eaten the vast majority of the broccoli.

my mother, sheepishly, says "i noticed it earlier, but i didn't want to say anything." hers was GONE, too. child of the depression. hahaha

anyway, getting back to "mind-over-matter", my dad always told me "if there's something on a menu you haven't ever tried, well, that's what you order for dinner."
  • stike
    Options
    yep.

i love my mom, but she had some funky "recipes".
    wife and i arrived at the house once for roast beef dinner. had some gin and tonics and d*mned if my old man didn't get it into his head that we ought to play some golf.

the roast was done, so ma just dialed back the oven to 200, and we went and played 18 holes at (i think) a par-3 course.

came back, had some more gin, and sawed off some planks of the now-wooden roast beef.

hahahah
    seriously. like four or five EXTRA hours of cooking time
  • fishlessman
    Options
    not yet but would try it, a few years back i was served some type of what looked like raw barnicles down on one of the little islands south of abaco, moors island by someone speaking some foreign english dialect, couldn't understand a word so not sure what to call it except delicious B)
    fukahwee maine