Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thawing meat?

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Whats the rules you guys use on thawing out ground beef. I use food saver bags. Whe we thaw out a pound of beef sometimes we end up with other plans and our meat is left setting in fridge. I have always lived by the thaw and use or toss. Is that too strict? How many days in the fridge? Thanks

Comments

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    If I didn't cook it after thawing, I wouldn't eat it.

Michael
  • Lothar
    Lothar Posts: 30
    Options
    Proper food handling procedure to thaw meat is in a refrigerator so the food never gets above 40-45 degrees. In a time crunch (like I'm always in because I never think far enough ahead), the proper procedure is in a sink with cold water running over it. A lb. of hamburger should thaw in 30-60 minutes using this method.

As for time in the fridge, it should last 3-4 days after thawing but it will turn brown due to oxidation. Obviously if it smells funky - its junky. To be safe I would be sure to cook ground beef to 165 to kill off any bacteria.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Michael...A lot depends on how old it was when it was frozen. If it was one of those events like "Oh oh, this is going to go bad"....and you throw it in the freezer, then thaw and cook. If you bought in bulk, and froze when fresh, then you have a good 2 or 3 days, maybe more, especially with ground beef and chicken. Steak is a different story, because the juices run out on day 2.
    Hope this helps!
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Hi LC:

With all due respect, not me! I couldn't eat it.

I'd rather throw out a few dollars worth of meat than have the possibility of getting sick.

Now if I cooked it after thawing, then I'd keep it a day or so, but not raw.

And if you're going to tell me that they do it at restaurants or grocery stores, I don't want to know about it or I might have to become a vegetarian.

Michael
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Michael...I appreciate your concerns. I am curious why you feel so strongly about that?
    Understand I am talking about meats, thawed properly (not left on a countertop all afternoon or something).
    Honestly, please inform me of your concerns. Perhaps I have overlooked something.
    Thanks!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Did you fall and bump your head?
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Sitting on the counter all afternoon is something different. :ohmy:
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Some people don't like spiders, I don't like meat that's been thawed (and not cooked). I was proably taught that it as a kid - it just freaks me out.

Michael
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Spiders can hurt you. :ohmy: The food won't
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Adam:

I'm quite happy with this phobia. Maybe it's irrational, but it works for me!

Not much bothers me, but that does.

Michael
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Depends on the shape it was in when you froze it. Close to bad frozen is going to be close to bad when thawed out. Same as fresh.

Mike
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Michael...I happen to be one of those that can't 'do' spiders.... :blink: :pinch:
    But frozen and thawed meats...honestly, they are safe to hold, as long as frozen fresh, and properly thawed. I suspect you are correct, with this being something driven into your memory as a kid. I certainly do not want to be responsible for making anybody go "VEG", especially an Egg owner! :ohmy: So please, continue to do what you are comfortable with, and I will spare you any other details.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. This was thawed on the counter so its going in the trash. It was frozen a day after it was ground. I get the idea though. You pretty much have it in the same state it was when frozen ( if thawed in refrig). Thanks guys and gals ;)
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Man, that was close...(see rolling egg's last post)

Sometimes you just never know.

Now don't go all getting serious with me.

Michael
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Michael...But you will eat a steak, that has sat uncovered, in God knows whos cooler, for 6 weeks?? :blink: I don't get it....LOL! :silly: :woohoo: :unsure:
  • Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    Options
    Aged beef is better beef.
    If in doubt don't.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's "thaw and don't refreeze", because freezing over and over again will reduce the quality of the meat, making it mushy.

but thawing properly (and technically, leaving it on a counter isn't "proper") doesn't make meat less safe.

as long as you are not exposing it to temps where food safety becomes an issue (room temps), there is no reason to believe that your meat is going bad simply by the act of thawing.

thaw in your fridge, and there's no safety issue as compared to if you'd never frozen it.

quality, though, is the issue. and it is a very easy thing over time for folks to confuse food quality with food safety
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    should never get above 40 in a fridge, not 45. 45 is in the danger zone.

meat can be kept in the meat drawer, which usually gets a direct blast from the freezer and can be as low as 32/34 degrees
  • stike
    Options
    depends how soon after thawing, and how you thawed it. thawing on the counter is not exactly the rigt way to do it if your concern is food-safety. but if it is thawed in a fridge, what exactly would make it unsafe? or less safe than it was when it went in the freezer?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi LC:

Good point...I'm so confused...I'm starting to feel vegetarian urges...Ha! Ha!

PS -> My butcher aged the meat in his fridge which is a much more controlled environment than I (or others) could have. I trust him when it comes to meat - I wouldn't trust myself when it comes to freezing / thawing, etc. That would feel too much like an experiment.

You don't like spiders right? Any reason why?

Have a good one!

Michael