Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fishin and smokin

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fished a rodeo over the weekend. About 40 guys in a invitation only rodeo. BIL took first place and I took second place in the speckled trout category on a difficult two days of fishing with high winds and rough water - the winnings paid for the gas and ribs. :woohoo:

The weigh in was at a friends house "down da bayou". He has an XL but doesn't do any long cooks. Brought 12 racks along to feed the masses.
IMG_4568800x600.jpg

Used two bottles of DP Dizzy Dust
IMG_4554800x600.jpg

First level loaded. Legs down, 1" pan on the platesetter, and grid on pan.
IMG_4557800x600.jpg

All done - pecan for smoke.
IMG_4571800x600.jpg

Also stuffed a pork loin pinwheel style with apples, sausage, and cheese and put it on my buddies rotisserie.

Chicken thighs later and keeping in mind what today is all about. Many thanks to all those who have made sacrifices so we can enjoy all the freedoms that we have.

Comments

• Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Amen

Enjoy your day and be safe.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Congrats on the good fishing. I did a rack last night and my wife told me they needed more rub. A bottle last me quite a bit longer than 9 racks guess I need to kick it up a notch. The good news they weren't too smokey for her. Also egged up some Bushes smokehouse grilling beans and the first good corn of the season.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Hi Frank. I've missed your frequent and colorful posts. Thanks for this one.

You realize now that you've spoiled 'em with ribs they are going to let you win every time LOL.

Those look great and you will surely convert a few of your fellow competitors to Eggheads. Good day's work.

As a Veteran, today is a reminder of what could have been.

I could have easily ended up among the casualties except for a quirk of fate, a lucky draw on assignments, a time of relative peace or just being in the right place at the right time. It's like getting a second chance time and time again.

Enjoy the day.

Spring "Luck Has No Boundaries" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Frank,

I've just recently purchased an XL, and I like the setup you've got there. WIll contact you shortly about what was pictured.

Hope you're well!
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    BB,

Here is the setup. I took more photos the last time I did this.

Remove the fire ring, platesetter legs down, 1" drip pan on top of the platesetter, and first grid on top of the 1" drip pan. Used some feet off of a broken platesetter for the spacing for the second level - fire bricks would work well.
    IMG_4364800x600.jpg

Second Level
    IMG_4365800x600.jpg

Third level and fourth levels - grids supported by nuts and bolts. :laugh:
    IMG_4366800x600.jpg

All ribs on and smokin
    IMG_4367800x600.jpg

Sauced
    IMG_4377800x600.jpg
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Frank, congratulations on your prize....& a very nice looking cook!!
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Nice looking ribs,that I'm sure those guys really appreciated the cook after being on the water.Thanks for the picture of the set-up it gives me some ideas for my xl.I'm a guy who loves fishing here in Socal and long range fishing in Mexico so if you have any pictures please share (before cooked ha ha)

GOOD FRIENDS AND GOOD EATS

DALE
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Those look good Frank. Hope mine turn out that well
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Ahhhh...now I see the way! I'll be touching base with tjv this week about some new gear for the XL setup I've got (different fire ring/fire box) but will be heading over to home depot or lowes for the spacing bolts. Really appreciate the pics--it helped a lot to understand what I was looking at in the other pics.