Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A reminder for vets and warning for newbs

Options
2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Just purchased a BGE but haven't taken delivery as yet.

Am reading these posts with great interest and for the most part understand what is being said but the eggjargon is confusing at times.

Just what is a wigglestick?

Is it an ash rake?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    There are several forum members that offer wiggle sticks for sale. I went to Home Depot and picked up some round stock and bent mine.

Rather than trying to explain click on Thirdeye's Wiggle Stick. It looks like he is working of some new versions.

A little care needs to be taken when using a wiggle stick. If enough force is used one can dislodge the fire grate and in worst case 'dump' some burning lump down through to the bottom of the egg.

GG
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thank you for the information and especially the tip.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if i have a lot of new lump, i will worry about a flashback when i have choked the temp back down from something much higher. i don't do Trex cooks usually, so i rarely experience flashbacks.

you can get a similar thing happening when you have a large load of fresh lump, and the fire is growing, early in the fire-lighting process. there will be a lot of VOCs not yet driven off, and they can flash over when you open the lid and give them oxygen. that kind usually happens once, because then the VOCs are gone.

but a flashback from choking a fire can happen over and over and over one after another.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jeffy
    jeffy Posts: 34
    Options
    Interesting. I've had an egg for four years cooking about 3 times a week and never had this happen. That I'm aware of anyway...
  • Eggerman1
    Eggerman1 Posts: 155
    Options
    Yeah the wife witnessed a blow out once and won't use the egg alone any longer, which is fine.
  • gtalvola
    gtalvola Posts: 42
    Options
    Seems like a lot of temperature problems and this lower vent flashback situation occur because there's not enough airflow -- either because the holes are clogged or because there are too many small lump pieces in the pile.

I've been wondering if there's a way to ensure that there's good airflow through the pile of lump, even if it's got a lot of small pieces. The thought I had was to place an item like a vertical chicken roaster, but with more metal "rungs" spaced closely together, on top of the fire grate before loading the lump. This would keep a clear air flow path up the center of the lump pile.

Anyone think this is worth trying? On my next cook I might try it with my vertical chicken roaster as-is and see if it seems to do any good.