Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP: TEMPERTURE CONTROL

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I AM A BRAND NEW EGGER. JUST FIRED IT UP FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST NIGHT. LIT THE LUMP WITH MAP GAS AND IN A FEW MINUTES I HAD 400 DEGREES. I WANTED TO COOK CHICKEN AT 300 DEGREES. PLEASE WALK ME THROUGH TEMPERTURE CONTROL. THE MANUAL DOESN'T SAY MUCH.

Comments

• maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    Options
    MARK FROM FT. MYERS
    We have refered to Tim's website many times when first egging. As a matter a fact in under our favorites. When our temps go way over we just shut the vents and wait for right temp and then slowly adjust. I put 2 small butts on this morning and temp gauge was buried and raging. Shut vents and in 5 minutes we are cooking at 225.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    MARK,[p]One of the key points to temperature control is to approach your target temperature from below. In your case, you wanted 300 degrees, so you should have started closing the air vents little by little when you hit 250 degrees and then allow the egg to slowly rise to 300. If you allow the egg to get hotter, it's not a big deal as long as you shut the air vents down some more and let the temperature drop before the ceramic has a chance to really heat up. Once the ceramic is hot, though, it is is hard to get the temperature down since the ceramic is retaining all that extra heat that you don't want. So, approach from below and start throttling down before you get to your target temperature. Good luck, you'll get it in no time.[p]TNW
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    MARK FROM FT. MYERS,[p]I have had my BGE for a little over a month and had the same problem you are having. (Still do occasionally)[p]I agree with TNW that the time to start controlling the temp is before the BGE reaches the target temp and not after. [p]It is really difficult to get that thing to cool down after it is hot.[p]I am sure if you follow the advice of these BGE fans you will master it soon.[p]Best wishes for a fun time with the BGE.[p]KL
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    ive been reading this forum about grilling. how about when your searing at 750 or above, and then decide to finish up the steak by dropping the temp?

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    MARK FROM FT. MYERS,[p]Welcome to the Egg family and the forum.[p]Your Egg controls cooking temperature by limiting the oxygen available to feed the fire. This control is achieved by the use of the top and bottom vents. The bottom vent is the major control and when closed will eventually snuff the fire. The top vent is the minor control and even if closed will not snuff the fire. Because of the ceramic mass, your cooker is much slower to cool down than heat up, so overshooting the target cooking temp should be avoided. As mentioned below, always adjust the vents to "catch" the cooking temperature about 50°F below the desired temperature and then tap them a bit more open to raise to cooking temperature.[p]With use, you will quickly get the hang of temperature control. Best of luck and enjoy.[p]Spin
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Hi Mark,[p]Welcome to the family. I remember my trouble in the beginning with temp control. I was given this gem of wisdom on temp control.[p]For 200-225 degrees, the bottom vent is cracked about the width of a credit card.
    For 325-375 degrees, the bottom is about 1/2" open
    For searing, WIDE OPEN[p]Remember that the bottom vent is for macro temp adjustments and the top vent is for fine tuning. Good Luck![p]By the way, there are some Florida Egg heads getting together October 10-13 for a camping trip at Silver River State Park in Ocala, just up 75 from Ft Myers. If you are not into the tent/camper thing, they have really NICE cabins for $85/night. You will see more posts on the event and there will be plenty of opportunity to see others with the same frustrations and learning curves as you![p]Banker John

• Rib-Rob
    Rib-Rob Posts: 66
    Options
    Spin,
    Like always on your posts, I find myself saying "Dang! That fella hit it right on." Great input.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    MARK FROM FT. MYERS,
    I let my BBQ Guru take care of it for me.