Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large vs Small Egg Pre-heat times?

Options
Smokey Bob
Smokey Bob Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am picking up my first egg (large) next week and was wondering if there was an appreciable difference in the pre-heat times between the large and small eggs? I do a lot of cooking for 1 and 2 people and was wondering if it would be worth while to get a small egg as well for those times when cooking for 1 or 2.
Many thanks for the assistance. This is a great site and I have had a blast working the site for the past several weeks. My only complaint is the pictures...they should be banned!!!!! I have too much drool all over my monitor!!![p]Thanks again[p]SB
Sebastian FL

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    Smokey Bob, I will shamelessly admit to having a large, medium and a small. Useage runs about 40%, 20%, 40% respectively. The small is quick to heat - like last night using a Weber cube I was at 650° in 35 minutes. On my large the highest I normally go is 550° for pizza and between getting to that temp and all the ceramic mass with the plate sitter and stone it takes me about 50 minutes. As for the medium it is closer to the small than the large. If you're seriously about starting out with two BGEs there is no better combo than a large and a small in my book. BTW there's just two of us also...

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Smokey Bob, The small is almost instant with one full chimney load of lump. Five hundred degrees in a minute or two. It also uses much less charcoal and since the coals are much closer to the food, searing is easier. [p]They should be sold as a set (Large and Small Egg Set!)

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Smokey Bob,[p]I don't notice much difference in the times to get the large up to it's normal operating temp and the small. 20-30 min for both. [p]Tim
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Smokey Bob, I added a small to my large ealier this year. I got an extra grid for two level and indirect cooking. Like The Other Dave, my chimney dump sends the small to 350 degrees almost immediately. I would definitly get both sizes. Make SURE you get the new spring assisted hinge for the small. The old hinge was horrible IMO.

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Smokey Bob,[p]I am going to speak out the other way. Our small always takes longer to reach temperatures than our large does.[p]Doesnt matter if the firebox is full and I light it in several different places, the small is just slower to heat up. You would think being smaller it would go faster.[p]That just my experience anyhow.
  • The Other Dave
    Options
    Boccie, Okay, I'll play it BOTH ways. When lighting the coals IN the small, it takes WAY long. That's why I only use a chimney on the small. In my opinion the bottom vent is way too small. Some kind of forced ventilation such as a blow dryer (did it)is required for faster lighting.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    The Other Dave, You are right,the bottom vent should be bigger. I wonder if it could be enlarged by moving the screw over on the ss assembly so the door opens more? I just looked at mine, the door blocks part of the opening.Thanks.

• The Other Dave
    Options
    tn slagamater, Wow, you're right! But you can pull outward on the tab on the slide, over the screw, and open it wider, and maybe pull the slide all the way out. Problem is that the housing of the vent still blocks the potential opening. I see I will be breaking out the Dremel tool on that part. Good observation!

• tn slagamater
    Options
    The Other Dave, if I can figure out what you are doing on your door, we may be able to hit inferno numbers on the little fellow! More air will help for sure. Can you post pictures?

• tn slagamater
    Options
    The Other Dave, OK now I see the problem, the housing is too small along both the top and the right side.And the screw is placed badly on the right side. Stainless is real tough to cut.Should it be removed before cutting or cut on the egg?[p]
  • The Other Dave
    Options
    tn slagamater, On further inspection, you'd only gain about 1/8 inch increase. If you filed more off, when you closed the vent, there would be a gap on the left side.[p]Let me see if I can describe all this without pictures. First, you can pull the sliding part of the vent right out over the screw by pulling it outward as you slide it completely off (not recommended, may be hard to get back in.) But now that the slide is completely off the opening you will find with your finger the area that could be removed to enlarge the opening to the size of the opening in the ceramic. Problem is, if you remove too much, when you shut the vent completely, there may be a gap on the side that you removed the material from causing an air leak. [p]Now I'm thinking about those computer "pancake" fans instead. Someone posted a picture of such a setup a few days ago. It was primarily to show the built in eggs, but he had a forced air setup.[p]At this point, I don't think enlarging the opening is the way to go.

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    I just read all the posts on start up times. I use Mapp gas in a standard torch kit I bought at Home Depot. The coals start in 1 1/2 minutes and are up to temp in 15 to 20 minutes. It works great.[p]Doug
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    The Other Dave, mine is blocked by at least 1/2 inch on the right side and nearly that much along the top. Maybe a medium vent could be fitted as a relacement?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    The Other Dave, I don't get it...really..after I broiled at 675 last night that small was an inferno. What do you guys want to cook at temps above that? Once that little guy is suckin air it's a blast furnace.

• The Other Dave
    Options
    RRP, hehe yes! No actually just want to be able to regulater the small faster. I think the problem is the small size of the small egg makes "getting a draft" going in the first place is more difficult than with the large.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    The Other Dave,[p]Many post here that their smalls can hit 1000°. Mine will not go over 600-650 max!! I have tried to make the vent open wider, but it just can't without removing ceramic as well as some of the vent. I removed the slide part of my vent and it added the extra 1/8" which made no difference at all in the max temp (or it was so small I didn't notice). I would love for the vent to be bigger, but ......[p]I still have no idea why some can hit 1000° and mine and others can reach only 600°. While 600 does produce a nice seared steak, it will not produce as good a "Pittsburg" as a 750° fire would and that is what I would like. Let me know if you find an answer to the 600° problem.[p]Tim
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    The Other Dave,[p]I have never used a chimney for starting the eggs. I guess I'll give it a try and see if it makes any difference for me.[p]I start them with MAPP.[p]Also, like Tim posted, mine will not exceed 600-650 range.[p]I am glad I bought the large first or I would have been disappointed with the BGE if the small was all I had to go by.
  • Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    Smokey Bob,
    Glad to see you posting![p]Hopefully WooDoggies will chime in - now that he has both a large and a small.[p]A small will be the next grill I get - for sure![p]Cheers,
    BC

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Yo Cappy,[p]No small........ yet. :~)
    Just the large and mini.[p]Beers!
    John[p]