Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Small/Medium Egg questions

Dimple's MomDimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited 7:51AM in EggHead Forum
I'm going to be getting a second egg, to take to our farmer's market and leave there. I'll be able to wheel it inside and lock it up when between market days.

We'll mostly be doing hot dogs, but may do other things as well. Don't know yet. Pizza, sliders, chicken, ribs. But definitely hot dogs and probably sliders.

Trying to figure out what size to get. How many hot dogs can you get on a small? How about a medium? Do they both sit in nests that bring them up as high as a large sits? (I don't want to be bending over tending to a bbq, hard on my back.)

Thanks!

Comments

• AzScottAzScott Posts: 309
    Go for the medium since you are possibly going to do ribs, chicken, and pizza. The small does not come with a plate setter and I think the plate setter is a touch too big not allowing good airflow.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Gwen,

I'll get you the dimensions of both when I get home around 6:00 Eastern

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dimple's MomDimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    How many racks of ribs could I get on the medium? How about how many pieces of chicken?

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the medium. We're also going to do paella altho we did purchase on of those burner things on a stand for that, but thought it would be good to also be able to do a second pan on the bbq if we were busy (hoping we're busy!).
    Thanks, Steve, that will be great.
    Gwen,

I don't know if this gives you enough for a height comparison.
    Picture009.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

That's very helpful. I defintely don't want to be bending over a small!

Is that an extra large on the far left?

You got 'em all! What, no mini? :P
  • JPFJPF Posts: 591
    all on a medium
    032509029.jpg
    032109025.jpg
    032109013.jpg
    031309006.jpg
    012009010.jpg
    020809006.jpg
    Looks like a medium is not really going to cut it for anything ex for hot dogs.
    No it is my original large with new casters. Something I would rccommend to anyone. The XL was out back and I didn't have a mini. The pic is two years old.

STeve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Why do you recommend the new casters? We're going to have to roll ours a short ways on grass. It may be tricky if it's still hot at the end of the day. Do the larger casters make it easier to roll?
    Gwen,

Absolutely. The casters I used were from an industrial supply. They have neoprene or rubber wheels, better bearings and adjust for direction easily. They don't sink into soft ground and when you move the egg it feels way more stable.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Okay. I wonder if I can get those at Ace or my local hardware store.
    I don't know, I know they have them at most of the fastener supplies I go into.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I would go with at least a medium egg for your purpose, however, I think a large would be a lot better if your willing to spend the extra money for an egg only used once or twice a week.

I have a Large and a Small with an XL on the way. The large always just felt like it was missing some room, so I got the small to do the appetizers on and it is working out just fine now until the XL shows up.

If you can find an Eggfest near your area this would be the best time to buy a used Large for the same price as the Medium new.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin
  • SSN686SSN686 Posts: 2,983
    Morning Gwen:

You can get quite a bit on a medium. My first Egg was a medium and the only Egg for almost three years, so I learned to pack a lot on there.

HERE IS A LINK to 6 slabs of ribs on the medium

LINK to two briskets on medium

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Gwen,

These are the measurements from ground to top of base

Small 28"
    Medium 30 1/2"
    Large 33 1/2"
    Didn't have any hot dogs or burgers but this is a 4 lb chicken.
    P1000263.jpg

P1000262.jpg

Like most have said, I would go with the medium. It can do a lot of what the large does. I just wish I didn't have to stand on a stool for the large :(

This has the grid sizes
    http://www.biggreenegg.ca/eggs/

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JPFJPF Posts: 591
    Your gasket looks like mine
    041609001.jpg
    041609002.jpg
    JPF,

Gaket? Gasket? We don't need no stinking gasket :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• OKCeggerOKCegger Posts: 38
    I'm getting a medium demo on Sat (OKC eggfest). :laugh: I have had an XL for about 18 months. If you ask me in a week or two I'll tell you to get a medium :woohoo: But I would think you will be happy with either! ;)
    I'd get the medium in a second since at some point I'll bring the thing home and it'd be nice to have a medium along with my large.

But after looking at those pics above, I'm not convinced we can fit enough food on the medium to cook for a crowd at the farmer's market. For hot dogs, it'd be fine but if we decide we want to do chicken pieces or ribs, I'm thinking we wouldn't be able to good enough to make it worth our while.