Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Frozen butt

Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My father just dropped off 2 butts weighing a total of 15.8 pounds. He wants them done tommorow about 11AM. I got them on at 7:30 @ 250 dome. My question is, when I split the pack open and seperated the two butts they were still frozen in the very middle where they were touching. Anyone ever encounter problems with smoking a partialy frozen butt? Outsides were completely soft , just that center was firm. Guru says they are 30 degrees in the center.
·

Comments

• FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,665
    They should be fine on a low and slow.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Dads are notorious for that.Mine wants 6 butts ready at precisely 9 AM Friday.All ready at the same time so he can serve them hot at 3 PM.I got one LBGE and no guru.Guess who will be up all nite Thurs nite?1 :angry: But it's Dad so what do you do? ;) :)
    ·
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    smile and say "You Got It!"
    ·
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hoss....This is when you put on your best "Awww, but Dad...." eyes, "If only I had this thing called a Guru...I could get them all done no problem!" .....lol! Nakid Whiz can overnight a guru! :whistle:
    ·
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Rolling...In complete agreement with Poolman. Although certainly not the ideal, you will be fine with such a long slow cook.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Good point! ;)
    ·
  • BoneDaddy'sBoneDaddy's Posts: 256
    That is a tough one, it is really not that long...I would go 17 hrs on a nonfrozen 16lb's of butt. You have just around 16, not counting the 2 hours or so in the cooler. good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,716
    Look at the brght side, it may really help with a strong pink smoke ring.
    ·
    I really dont think it was as froze as I thought. meat is sittin @ 101 now at 3 hours into cook.
    ·
    By the way... have you seen any John Henrys sitting around here in N ala on a shelf? Im out and about to order some. I think I bought some at Werners in Cullman before but not sure.
    ·
    good. How is the digi-Q working for you. I saw the newest one and may stop and ask Tony about it tomorrow!
    ·
    Call appliance direct in HSV tomorrow. Which one are you looking for?
    ·
    Big bottle (or 2) of Pecan. We have an Aplliance Direct here in Athens. Those guys are always cooking on an Egg or Traeger
    ·
    Cant beat the Digi Q. Im extremely happy with it. Hadn't lost a cook yet (knock on wood). I cooked butts for 18 hours last week and wasnt even home. Man thats sweet!
    ·
    I know the traeger distributer for the area also sells JH stuff. I would not be surprised to find it at appliance direct because of this.

I have a new bottle of the butter pecan that I picked up a few weeks back. I have not tried it yet.
    ·
    Never seen Butter Pecan. You entering up in the Athens contest coming up?
    ·
    No, baseball is here. Opening day for the boys is this Saturday and runs for 6-8 weeks.
    ·
  • PWisePWise Posts: 1,173
    As long as it's low n slow you should be fine... it will take a bit longer than usual though...

cheers!
    ·
    They are actually done now. Guru shows 195 on butts exactly 13 hours in. Dome of 250.
    ·