Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The EGG backfired on me

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The fact that the ceramics of the BGE do such an incredible job of retaining heat is great....unless you want to cool it down. In hindsight I should have just let the fire go out and re-lit it. I didn't have time to get the temp stabilized for my bostom butt as much as I would have liked on Friday night..had to leave to run a few errands. I got back about 2.5 hours later and my temp had gotten up to 300. It was a catch 22 to cool it down...I could let some heat out by raising the lid, but that also gave the fire some oxygen. I felt like I was running in place for awhile. Finally got it down to 200 and put the butt back in...checked on it for about an hour to make sure I was stable and went to sleep. Next morning I had dropped to about 190, but it took no time to get her going at 215...held it there all day. [p]We had planned on having pulled pork for lunch, but we ended up having it for dinner instead. No big deal, the results were still fantastic, and I learned something.

Comments

• Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Options
    RG,
    You probably could have left the butt on the egg while you were lowering the temp. 300 degrees really would not have hurt it at all. It may have even finished in time for your lunch. If the temp does get a little high and it gets finished earlier just take it out wrap it foil and place it in a cooler for a couple of hours until you need to eat it.[p]I know what you mean about trying to cool the egg down though. I found it is always best to cook your lowest temp. foods first and then crank up the heat for higher temp. stuff. I burned some chicken before I realized the wonders of cooking with ceramics.[p]Glad the butt turned out well anyway.[p]Steve