Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning up ash

Options
Ribhead
Ribhead Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
An Ash Tool is used to remove the ash that collects at the bottom of the EGG. Using the bar at the end of the Ash Tool, you simply pull the ash out of the Stainless Steel Draft Door into a fireproof receptacle that can be easily emptied.

My questions:
-what do you guys put the ashes into?

-how long do you typically wait or do you just do it prior to each cook?

-and what do you do with the stuff?

Just thinking you guys have some good ideas!

As always!
Bob

Comments

• The Barbequetioner
    Options
    I am filling up urns and passing them off as dead celebrities and selling them on ebay.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I remove every 3 or 4 cooks and always before a long cook. After I'm sure there is no heat (1-2 days) I put it into an empty lump bag. I use a shop vac with 5/8" tubing to clean out behind the firebox so I don't have to take it apart.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i just throw it into the wind and it disapears. you could put it in a spreader and hit the lawn with it, garden
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    It can be a messy job. I use a very flat pizza pan, and slide it under the egg so it will catch all the ash coming out of the bottom vent. Then I transfer it to my compost heap. Guess you could just put it in a bag and throw it in your trash can.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Bob-
    I have a small metal trash can that I keep putting ashes into until it fills up. Sometimes I put the ashes in my garden, sometimes, when I know that they aren't hot, I put them in the trash. I'm fussy- I pull the ashes out every 3 or 4 cooks-unless I'm looking for higher temps for an extended period for pizzas. I like starting fresh for cooks like that.
    Brian in PA
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    This is a very effective tool and every other cook it gets a through cleaning.Put into a plastic trash bag and gone.
    001-26.jpg
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    I use a plastic bucket that held tabs for the pool, it slides right under the nest on the Large. Just have to be careful that the spent ash is cold. Then I dump some in the garden, and the rest into the trash.
    Bob
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    What can I get for 10.00? Maybe a Richard Simmons or Boy George?
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I clean her out always before a low and slow, otherwise every 5 cooks or so. I use a Budweiser bucket I stole from the bar down the street from my house. I then throw that into my fire "pit" on wheels. When that fills up I throw it into a metal trash can for a few days and then into the dumpster. I might just start throwing it into the sewer, but I am not sure if I feel like doing that.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Compost heap and garden
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I took a dustpan and cut it to fit flush against the egg just below the bottom vent. After using the ashtool to get the ashes into the dustpan I place the ashes in a metal bucket. When I was a kid I was taught to think of a gun as always being loaded. In a similar way I think of ashes as always having hot embers still in them, no matter how long ago the fire was snuffed out. Use a metal bucket, preferably with an airtight lid, and don't place it near anything combustible.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    It's really very simple... When I'm finished with a cook, I close the lower vent and put the rain-cap in place. That starves the lump of O2 and it will extinguish overnight. Then, I use a Shop-Vac to clear out the ashes/dust and I'm good to go for my next cook!
  • The Barbequetioner
    Options
    Ten dollars is kinda on the low end. You might get someone like River Pheonix or newly added Jeremy Lusk. Happy bidding.....
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    The $0.97 ash tool...

ash1.jpg

ash2.jpg
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I found a metal dustpan kinda thing at a hardware store in the grilling section. It has a long handle and just happened to be a little wider than the bottom vent. Since I put Lula-Q up on her three egg feet, I am able to slide the little ashpan into place, and pull the ashes out. Then I place them into a metal pail that I found at Lowe's for about $7 bucks

I go through that routine about every 3rd cook, and only vaccuum out the Egg before a butt or a brisket. I have a pail about 3/4 full of ash, and didn't know what to do with it. Now I do! :cheer:
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    Mine came from the feed store.

Dsc01202ashbucket-vi.jpg
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Coffee cans.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Bob,I usually clean out the ash every few cooks.I use a BGE shovel that works great to catch all the ash.Then I dump it into the rose pots,or in the woods behind my house :) Here's the BGE shovel ;)

011-30.jpg

005-32.jpg
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I use the olde CI smoker box that I used back in the dark ages when I had a gasser and then over the side of the deck. Be interesting to see this summer if that grass is greener than the "non-treated" areas. :whistle:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap