Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

raised grid

Options
deltadawn
deltadawn Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How does everyone do a raised grid? We have the Lg BGE. We are making DP Maple salmon tonight and our grid is probably more like 8-10" from the coals, not 12-18" that the recipe suggests. Are there different set ups available? We decided we would just do this cook at the lower end of the temp 275-300, rather than 350. Thanks for your help.....
Dawn & Mike
Oshkosh, WI

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The Naked Whiz offers several examples of how you can make a raised grid.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/

A lot of folks are happy with the products from:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/

There is also something called Grate Mates made by a member, but I cannot find the link.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Google is your friend:

http://www.gratemates.com/

This outfit is run by Chubby. They are for the small Egg.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    This is where the whiz shows you how:http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#raisedgrid

I made mine with 3/8" x 4.1/2" bolts. I have washers on the bottom too so it sits right on my grill. My hardware is not stainless it is zinc plated and I have yet to hit the temp at which zinc boils and gives off the zinc oxide gas that can make you sick if you breathe enough of it.
    08-22.jpg

can also cook two levels at once.
    Cheap and easy ($12?). indispensible for cooking chicken and/or chicken parts.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    for drop dead simple I prefer using 2 of these fire bricks turned on edge which will raise an auxiliary grate 4.5". The right one is used the left one was new. It's quick to set up and take down and storage is minimal!
    IMG_0289.jpg

BTW you can buy a box of 6 of them at Menards or Lowe's for like $10. They measure 9" x 4.5" x 1.25".
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Coacher
    Coacher Posts: 22
    Options
    I used four 1/4'' X 5'' carriage bolts. Now, I used a large fender washer on the bottom of each bolt(where it stands) with a 1/4' nut on each side of the fender washer. This holds the fender washer in place and allows me to change the height of the raised grid. I also used zinc carriage bolts and washers, I hope this doesn't turn out to haunt me :huh: . I need to get a photo bucket account so I can post the pics of it.

Coacher
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you are breathing the zinc gas, you'd be breathing the carbon monoxide, which would kill you before the zinc made you sick. (couldn't let it go one more time).

(i am SCREWED for wednesday. just finished the aerial. now i only have three eyelevels to do... wah wah waaaaah) we'll see how it goes. maybe meet here?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Dawn,

I use the adjustable rig from the Ceramic Grill Store. I bought it and the spider as a set and have used both very frequently. I placed the original grid on the top of the rig and it was about 11" above the fire box (fire ring is about 4.5" tall and the rig in 6" above the ring).

My salmon turned out good, though we prefer it more medium rare. Will practice a little with the times and temps.

Definitely a "do again". :woohoo:
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I’ve done the same as Flashback Bob and JFP.
    Posted a pic a while back (it’s the same set up as Bob’s) so I won’t post it again.
    I did however use SS (not sure that you really need to, but hey!) bolts, washers and nuts…Still the whole thing didn’t cost $20!!
    I used three bricks atop the fire ring before building the raised rig. It works / worked well too. Just need to be bit more careful, as it can be a little “wiggly”.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The Potatoheads reminded me- if you use 3 bolts it's easier to make it stable (tripod never wobbles). 4 works too, but I like 3.

jeffy you let me know what up-
    I'm at Ft Devens today but am around tomorrow, just busy. Today the Wiffy finds out if she's getting laid off. They told all the nurses a couple weeks ago there were going to be "layoffs by April 1, have a nice day" so the stress has been unbearable. Good thing I found a job!