Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size of grill

Options
SmokinScot
SmokinScot Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering a BGE and am unsure about grill size--I know that the 18" the "recommended" size for most of what I anticipate doing, but man, that looks small after a 22" Weber. Would the 24" be way too big for everyday use, with occasional larger parties? Thanks!

Comments

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I cooked on 22-in. Webber for years before I got my Lg Egg 18-in. I can cook a lot of food on it because you can control the heat so well.

Ross
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    most here started with a large and bought a second egg, usually a small. we didnt do this for more space but because we wanted the ability to cook at two temps at the same time. ive cooked 32 pounds of brisket and butt for pulled pork in ome load in the large, it cooks differently than the webber
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    there are a lot of accessories for the large that increase space...

It is hard to get smaller though when you cook for less people....and lump is wasted...(would be worse with an xl I think)

Large seems to be a very versatile size...disclaimer I have a LBGE
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Apples and Oranges...Get yourself a large and go mental like the rest of us. Well, maybe the vets aren't as mental anymore. On second thought, they are they just have more poise.

My 5 yr old asked if I'm gonna use the oven any more. :laugh:

Hope not
  • IndependentGrocer
    Options
    Even if you decide to get the XL, you won't be disappointed. It cooks great and uses very little lump. Get what you feel will suit your needs. The BGE will change your life. You'll put your Weber out in the yard just to have a target to throw rocks at. ;)
  • Tenn Smoker
    Tenn Smoker Posts: 123
    Options
    Size did not matter to me, maybe to my wife (oops) but I have the large and may buy another one this summer. Like they said above , there are accessories for more space. There are four people in our family and it has been plenty big enough with out the accessories.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I would say it depends on what you want to use it for.

I have 4 kids, and love to grill, so I bought the XL. Tonight I did 12 large burgers, which would not have fit on the L.

If you do more smoking than grilling, the large is plenty big.

I would like to get a medium to complement the XL, but it took many months to convince the wife to buy the first one, so I'm not about to broach a second egg. Until I have a smaller one, the XL is perfect for me.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Bring her to an Eggfest. That's how I convinced mine I needed a MED. Know she is talking that we (meaning me) should organize an Eggfest closer to home. So now I have that to do also.