Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket, again!

Options
BuffaloChip
BuffaloChip Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
NOT COMPLAINING

I'm replacing my second felt gasket with a nomex tomorrow. First one fell off the second was my fault.

Just finished cleaning the surfaces. Grandpas Grub is right about using 91 alcohol instead of acetone. I tried both and the alcohol is so much better. Thank you sir! Also used a paper towel folded into a strip soaked with alcohol. Just placed it on the next section as I cleaned the area it was just on. Keeps the alcohol on the surface longer and speeds up the process.

I going to use high temp silicone instead of the 3M. I assume you just put the silicone on the egg and not the gasket?

Any thoughts about just placing the nomex on the dome and nothing on the base? It appears to be thick enough to seal without having a gasket on each half and will provide a cushion.

You know the worst thing about replacing the gasket. Waiting for the glue to cure. :( Won't be using the egg until Sunday.

--Dave

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I have not heard of anyone using the silicon. Keep me posted on how that works. I have a med BGE that I will need to work on after I get it out of the box.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    Evening all-

I used the silicone a couple of weeks ago. Yep, you got it, squirt it right on the egg like toothpaste. I have seared steaks at ~700 degrees and cooked 7 pizzas at 600 degrees and no problem whatsoever. This is the same applications that killed my felt gasket.

Hope this helps.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    RRP has some guides for putting the Rutland adhesive on the dome.

Before you start find a saw blade for a saber saw (jig saw) or something like that.

As I recall, you want the teeth to be deep enough so you can drag the blade and make furrows along the dome & base and get an even thickness. This method is used for laying tile and such.

In quick summary squirt on like tooth paste. Use the saw blade to draw and spread the adhesive then apply the Nomex. I have read that it is a little difficult to meet the curve with the nomex. DON'T pull the nomex sort of push it in place so there is no stretching.

I am not sure how fast the silicone holds, neverthelss, if it were me. I would remove the dome and do the dome first, then the base.

I would have some help to lower the dome on the base w/o bands and possibly clamp or strap the dome to the base. Be very careful so the Nomex does not slide on either surface. There may be enough weight of the dome to put sufficient pressure on the Nomex and adhesive.

I have replaced a lot of felt gaskets but never a Nomex so above is just my thinking and not from experience.

Read the instructions for the adhesive to know how long to cure. As most say do a few lower temp cooks.

GG
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    strange..I have NEVER replaced a gasket on my small or my large...large especially is pretty much fried but still good enough to seal...I get a little leakage when using the digiQII w/10 cfm fan..but I think it looks cool when those little puffs of smoke come out between the dome when the fan comes on :P
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Let us know how it turns out, I have just replaced my first gasket ever back in Jan on my large after 4 years. I was putting on new bands so put a new nomex on it. I have had no problems with the supper 77 or nomex. I did stretch the nomex a little and it pulled back so be very alert to not stretching it.
    010109008.jpg
    010109009.jpg
    123108011.jpg
    12508004.jpg
    Good luck with it, I only waited about 12 hours before cooking some wings with it. So far I am very happy with the nomex, but I have 3 others still with felt.
    120608004.jpg
  • BuffaloChip
    BuffaloChip Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Just picked up the high-temp silicone.

Any thoughts about putting the gasket on only one surface?

As soon as it warms up a bit I'm going to put it on the dome only. Guess if that doesn't work out I can always add it to the base later. The biggest reason is to have a cushion or else I'd go without one at all.

--Dave
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    My opinion would be on both top and bottom. After time it will compress down and then maybe not get as good seal. The only others I know of with just the gasket on the bottom are really thick gaskets. I guess you can always add more later. Let us know how it works out.