Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

couple suggestions for attending an eggfest

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wondering about eggfests, here are a couple suggestions from my experiences.

- Don’t cook all day. You’ll pick your head up just in time to see everyone leave.
- Unless you have an unusual offering, don’t plan to feed a battalion. You’ll end up begging folks to take food.
- Food goes faster early than late in the day. Folks arrive hungry, eat and get full…..so the typical bbq goodies served late may be a hard give away.
- The best way to offer food is to get in the crowd and starting serving. So preplan your food delivery process, including a clean way for folks to handle the food.
- Arrive early; best time to have a relaxed conversation with someone is before the action starts.
- You’re not going to “Let’s make a Deal” so no need to bring your entire kitchen. Half the fun is borrowing something, gives you a reason to meet and talk.
- Wear your name tag with actual and forum name. Big letters are easy to read in a crowd. Remember, most folks only know your forum name.
- Walk around and don’t be afraid to stick your nose in a group and say hello. We all have the same thing in common. Don’t know what to say, how about…….whatcha cooking?
- Team up in small groups. It just makes life easier with supplies, cooking, handing food out and clean up. Don’t know anyone, find someone. It can be as easy as two neighbors pulling tables a little closer together.
- If you really want to meet certain folks, make a list prior. It’s easy to get caught up in the moment and forget.
- Be respectful of the moment….if you can’t say or do it in front of your mom, chances are it won’t fly at the fest.
- If there is a special item you want to try, track it like a dog on a scent. Chances are if your interested others are too and it could be here and gone in a flash.

Enjoy the day, relax and have fun. Remember to thank those who sponsored and organized the event. Without them, you would not be there.

Any other suggestions?
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You forgot the most important one, don't share a table with Egret. -RP
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Thanks for your words of wisdom. I had to laugh at this one..."Be respectful of the moment….if you can’t say or do it in front of your mom, chances are it won’t fly at the fest."
    Does anyone actually live by that? :laugh:
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    All good suggestions.

Spring "Bringing The Kitchen And Using Some Of It" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL that one always makes me chuckle... My son worshiped his great-grand mother. she was very young at heart. As a teen I told him never to do anything he could not call Nana up and tell her about it. he told me later that I really spoiled a lot of stupid fun things LOL it is a good thing if it keeps them out of trouble :)
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Great Suggestions Tom.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Always spend the night before and the night after with good friends ;)

Thanks, Tom!

LR
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    and don't overeat....... :P
  • reelgem
    Options
    I would move that one to the top of the list. :)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    don't get near egret's brownies or lord knows what will happen to your digestive tract!!!!! he make look innocent enough, but behind those grandfatherly eyes lies pure evil i'll tell you, pure evil!!!. . .lord only knows what he's putting in that chili in ocala this weekend. . .all i know is, taster beware, taster beware!!!

eggtoberfest08014.jpg

eggtoberfest08015.jpg
  • reelgem
    Options
    Oh come on Max, give the poor guy a break. Those brownies look absolutely beautiful. :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Great list, and thanks for sharing.

I've made the mistake of cooking too many different items and too much of any single item. It's easy to do. Spending a nice leisurely day cooking a little, eating a little, and schmoozing a little is the best way to do it in my book.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder don't ya think? :whistle:

Its all in good fun Ann. Egret more than holds his own with this crowd.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Great advice.

The only thing I could add is to make serving portions sample-size. Folks can always come back for seconds.

Also, don't forget your sunscreen...

Big T

/learned some of tjv's list the hard way
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thank You for posting this info! Good to know.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • reelgem
    Options
    Dennis, I was worried that Egret was getting a complex from all the negative feedback he gets on his cooking. I see he's backed out of Oklahoma now. I think he needs some TLC.
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Are latex food handling gloves required and where can you get them?
    Are the latex gloves used by painters OK for food service?

Thank You
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Any drug store or the pharmacy department or large retailers carry them.

They may not be required, but in my opinion they should be worn whenever handing food to be served to others. A box is only a few bucks.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    don't worry, john is one of my closest buds here!! .. .i love him and joan like family!! . and they have been very good to my family through thick and thin the past few years, and he knows how i feel about him!!. .. .now having said that, it took about a quart of coca cola for me to wash one of those little brown turds down my gullet!!!..
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Brown turds!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    This is a pretty good BGE fest bible to live by. Most importantly is leaving plenty of down time..to share with your buds...

P1020168.jpg

P1020145Small.jpg

Can't wait til next month.

The filly
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Kim, that first pic is one of my favorites.
    Of course there is the one in Atlanta. How did that ever happen?
    Mike
  • loco_engr
    Options
    How 'bout some names :whistle:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Jack was my KSU guest for the day. Purple shirt. Buster Dog with the Red hat on. Yours truly. The Chubster, Tom (tjv), Kim and Sally B.

Mike
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Thanks Mike.
    Was this at last years OKC?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Best tip yet!!! ;)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've got a two liter for you next time we meet....and some brussel sprouts LOL