Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bubba Keg Grill

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I saw one of these on display at the home depot the other day.

I can say one thing positive about it - the gasket they use is fantastic. It has an elasticity to it that buffers the lid and makes an almost air tight seal, like it is sucking the lid down when you close it. The gasket fits into a channel in the rim of the dome. The top vent is also integrated and is a daisy design similar to that of the egg, but it cannot be removed either accidentally or intentionally. Otherwise it is about like a Weber kettle that has been stretched out - just thin sheet metal. It had a somewhat cheap feel to it.

As a cheap and light tailgate alternative it might be nice to have.
  • Focker
    Options
    Built-in bottle opener B)

Trailer hitch adapter B)

Fidel, out of curiosity, what are they selling for?

The gasket material is interesting
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Spicy McHaggis
    Options
    Saw one at Home Depot last weekend for $799 - $100 more than I paid for my large BGE.
  • Focker
    Options
    $800 :ohmy: :blink:

Thanks ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• kjed
    kjed Posts: 55
    Options
    I saw one at my Home Depot this weekend too. Fidel is right - the gasket is nice, but it's not fastened to the dome very well. I saw 3 different spots where it was coming off. It is made of sheet metal, but it's double-walled and insulated. With what, I don't know. The thing I liked was the grid system: a bottom cast iron grid, with a small hole in it for a post, on which was attached the upper grid (chrome-plated steel). The upper grid sits above the top of the base, so you can swivel it away to get to the bottom grid.

I've been trying to find the dimensions of the grid system, if they fit my large BGE, I might have to order replacement grids from Bubba Keg...

Keith
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    The long version demo is very slow to download. I think that they have some nice features but not enough to justify the price.

I certainly wouldn't swap any of my old 'Girls' for a brand new one.

Spring "Everybody Wants To Be Like The Egg" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Oh yea, and the warranty is kinda short...

All Cast Iron Parts - no rust-through / no burn-through 3 years
    Chromed Cooking Grate - no rust-through / no burn-through 3 years
    Fire Bowl - no rust-through / no burn-through 3 years
    Lid Seal Gasket 3 years
    All other Parts 5 years

Not for me.

Spring "Bubba Not" Chicken
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Trailer hitch??? Can you imagine pulling this thing behind your car/truck at anything over 3 mph on those wheels?
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    From their opening webpage it appears to be run by the same outfit that sells Enzite for "natural male enhancement".

Why is it that all these "knock-offs" have a company address in GA? Are disgruntled, fired employees of BGE at the bottom of this conspiracy?
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    I wonder how long it will take before it rusts out. 3 years, maybe?

Mike
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I thought the receiver hitch was a pretty cool idea until I watched the video. You can't cook on it while it is on the hitch. -RP
  • BrooklynQ
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich wrote:
    Trailer hitch??? Can you imagine pulling this thing behind your car/truck at anything over 3 mph on those wheels?

The Bubba Keg lifts off its stand and attaches directly to the trailer hitch. Very nice feature.