Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

nervous

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK - I am thinking about getting an egg, but I am nervous! After looking at this forum - the food on here looks unreal! Am I getting involved in a product that only gourmet cooks should be using? Were most of you great cooks - then purchased the egg Or did the egg and this forum help you learn these great cooks?

I have minimal cooking skills and my spices rack conists of salt-pepper-seasoned salt. Just concerned that i am going to spend $800 and rotate between ribs and chicken!

I am really hoping that the food turns out so good! egging gets in your soul - then you become obsessed with this site and learning learning learning learning learning!

Just wondering if many of you had limited cooking skill prior to your purchase like me or were you already accomplished! Thanks

Comments

• low tech redneck
    Options
    Before I got my eggs I cooked maybe twice a year other than smoking,now I cook every day on the eggs including baking all our bread.They really do make a difference. Jump in,you will never regret it.
    Good luck Jim
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    "I am really hoping that the food turns out so good! egging gets in your soul - then you become obsessed with this site and learning learning learning learning learning! "

yep, thats what happens. this forum gets you quickly up to speed. after you get past the few initial cooks, you will start thinking presentation and getting a camera.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • To answer your question, there are all types of people on this forum from formally trained chefs to backyard burger flippers, while most of us are somewhere in between. The important analysis is that regardless of the skill level you bring to the table, the egg (& maybe even more importatnly this forum) will enhance your skills greatly. Once purchased, you will be inspired to cook more often which will in turn make you cook better. Do not be nervous, rather, be happy that you are about to make a very good purchase :) . Marc
  • I didn't really know anything about cooking before I got the egg. I just knew I wanted to cook better than I had. Since getting the egg and mastering the basics, the folks here have given me the courage to try other things, and although I'm no chef, and only a middling cook compared to many of them, I'm still light years beyond my old self. There are beginners here and professional chefs. They often teach us as much as they learn too.

I was at a fellow egger couple's party over the holidays, and all of their friends said they were too intimidated by their food to have them over for dinner. I think our hosts would be crushed to hear that. Here they are showing everyone how relatively easy it is to produce this great food (though they are a great pair in the kitchen frankly) and it's backfiring and folks are being scared from trying it themselves.

I tried to tell the other guests that although the food was great (and it was), we and the couple (and pretty much all egg owners) were pretty used to eating like this all the time. It wasn't the egg itself, but the mindset that came with the egg. Basically you arrive at a point of dissatisfaction with your current food, and just start paying attention. Here, on television, in books, at restaurants.

A year later your family is saying "I could never cook like this. your food is always great". Sure, the egg helps jump start things, and the old things you always cooked will immediately be better, but you will be encouraged and feel comfortable expanding your repertoire. Hard to say what comes first, the inclination, or the egg.
  • Basically what I tried to say, only in a hundred and fifty fewer words. Well said.
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    You will do fine. If the rotation is only chicken and ribs then they will be the BEST you ever tasted. But I think you will find other things that members of the forum cook will be pleasant EGGperiments. :whistle:
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Options
    Before the Egg I used a gasser. I am not a great cook and the food was OK but nobody got excited over it. Now cooking the same food on the Egg, steak, burgers, pizza and such, my friends and family rave about it. Go for it.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Simply put...Get an BGE! You can spend less and buy something else but your risk is poor results. If you spend more now, it will be cheaper in the long run because the first thing you bought won't do what it is intended to do. It just ends up costing you more because you'll then go out and buy the BGE. (Trust me and learn from my mistake)
    My BGE is now 2 weeks old. I'm not a chef but it makes a bad cook good! Seeing as you are already a good cook, you'll be great!
    By the way, I got a old smoker piece of junk for sale if you are interested.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    It is the egg! My brother in law has one and after eating a couple of meals I commented "that was the best food I ever ate, you are an incredible cook!" He replied it is not me it is the egg. He was right!!!
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    ok...not trying to go against the herd, but here I go.

I love to cook and always have. Now, I just love to egg more than anything else. If you do not have the time, then an egg may not be for you. It will be frustrating if you cannot use it like you want to. Our family has food off the egg 3-4 times a week during the winter, and almost every night we eat at home during the other three months. Seriously...we all love it. Weekends change shape as well around cooking sometimes.

If you have the time and love of the atmosphere around cooking, then the Egg may be the absolute best thing you ever decide to get. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT LET YOUR CURRENT COOKING ABILITY OR LACK THEREOF BE A PART OF YOUR DECISION TO PURCHASE AN EGG!! I would also say that the cost is absolutely insane considering all that is included like: the warranty/ amount of fun/ great food/ and the list goes on. I, like many others here, would pay 5 or even 10 times as much if that is what it took to get an egg. I am not overstating that either.
    Regardless, it will change your life.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I was an ok cook at best when I got my first BGE....I am still not great but vastly improved by virtue of

1...the BGE and it's cooking ability
    2...the people on this forum and what all you will learn
    3...the desire that comes with having a BGE and wanting to cook really good food for your friends & family
    4...seeing these pics motivates you to get better

just the fact that you are asking the question tells me you are wanting to learn and that is a good thing...

buy a BGE you will never regret it... :P
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Get an Egg! You’ll love it and YES, most likely you will want to cook more and learn more about cooking too.
    I have done some catering and have cooked at camp gatherings, but I am by no means a professional, nor professionally trained. What I do have going for me is that I love to cook and eat!
    I never was one to spend a lot of time cooking on a “grill”, other than the occasional smoked turkey, burgers and brats….But that has changed (yes, I’m new to egging) in this past year with my Egg. I now really look forward to cooking something on the Egg, trying out old ideas from the kitchen and new ideas fresh from my head and of course from the great folk here on the forum.
    I cook most every day, and have to say that when it’s something from the Egg…The interest is peaked.
    My mother (she has a picture, but I don’t remember) tells me that I’ve been cooking for 54 yrs. now! With that said; it would be a lie to say that cooking isn’t a passion for me, and has been for as long as I can remember! The Egg just added an additional dimension to my love!
    But…I’m thinking that even if you remotely like to cook….The Egg will pull you in!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Sounds like you should attend an eggfest and see all the regular people cooking awesome food. Chefs, caterers, home cooks and mostly just people that enjoy cooking and food cooked to the proper temperature.

I have owned my Large for 13 years and only discovered this forum last August. I have enjoyed it and cooked many things on it. Since joining the forum, I have a renewed interest in cooking on the egg as well as have gotten some other egg owners excited about theirs by showing them the pictures and posts. I purchased a mini in December which I absolutely love.

You should know that if you buy one, you will never have to buy another grill again. That in itself is a great reason to purchase one.

You definitely won't regret it if you decide to buy.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    I have never even cooked eggs in a kitchen. I did manage to torture meat on a gas grill once in awhile. I even managed to food poison myself. Then I decided to learn how to grill/smoke and found this forum and the Egg. I just take it one recipe at a time that looks good and buy spices as needed. As I progress, I find that I have more and more of the spices already on hand. If I have a question, this forum always helps me through the set-up and the cook. My wifes whole clan will now only eat holiday turkey that I've egged. What a good feeling. I now have four eggs, great tasting fare, people who want to eat my food, and have still never cooked eggs/pancakes etc. in a kitchen.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The Egg will help you cook better than you ever have. I spent 20 years trying to match the quality of ribs that I could get from a local rib joint. Within 3 months, I was making as good. Now, my wife insists that she will only eat the ribs I make because they are better.

The real down side is that most commercial meals will taste so poorly after what the Egg can make, you may find yourself cooking a lot more than you ever have.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    gdenby, you are right. Whenever I eat out, I order carefully because I have found that I do a better job at home on the egg than the "chefs" do in the restaurants. I only order things that I do not cook at home. You definitely become spoiled, but that can be a good thing!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    gdenby, you are right. Whenever I eat out, I order carefully because I have found that I do a better job at home on the egg than the "chefs" do in the restaurants. I only order things that I do not cook at home. You definitely become spoiled, but that can be a good thing!

Faith

• bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    I, as a new Egger, I was, and still are a bit nervous every time I Egg. As the days go on, the better I am feeling. Last Friday, work sent us home for the day. Instead of getting down and worrying about all the bad news on the TV, I went down to the freezer, quickly defrosted a rib, and threw it on using doing the 4-2-1, this is the third time I have made the best rib I have ever made. On the gasser, I would turn that poor piece of pork into a form of food that was only good for the Wildlife.
    IF you decide to invest, you will not be only investing in a new way of cooking, you will be investing in your new "mindset". While watching the smoke drift into the sky for a few hours, and pondering how good your cook will be, all of life's big problems are just a bit diminished.
    Thanks, Bob
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    For sure…For sure!!
    As I mentioned in my original post; The Egg added a new dimension to my cooking.
    When it comes to going out to eat; I actually don’t care to go out too much any more and when I do, I try to make it somewhere new, with an off-beat menu. And still yet, I have trouble deciding on what to order wanting to avoid a disappointment. For sure I am always looking for something I haven’t had before, wanting to try out a new taste.
    I realize I’m blowing my own horn… :blush: But, I can put out a much better meal than any of the restaurants in my area! Guess that’s the curse of loving to cook.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    You know? If you are interested enough to be here asking us...you are already practically sold. The Eggfest idea is a really good one. If you can wait that long!

When I decided I was going to be an Egger, it was Saturday Jan 31st. My family was coming to visit and the whole time all I could think was...,"just go home so I can go get my Egg."

I ended up having to wait until the next day. I like to cook outside. In these cold months, it makes me feel like I'm bucking the system. Not a great cook, just like to try new things. The Egg and the forum are an extraordinary combination.

Even if you just start out using it for the basics, it won't be long before your racking your brain to post something on here that is fresh and new!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    soulpatch,

Simple food is where the egg shines. Think about the origin of barbeque. You don't need to be a chef or even a foodie to create wonderful stuff. You will get all the help you can ask for here and there is a recipes section that is teriffic. As far as rotating between chicken and ribs, the egg is a steak and roast machine, You can do chilis, soups, stews and just about anything that you can do on a stove or an oven. I do store bought pizzas and lasagne on it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Go for it Bro! It ain't brain surgery.
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    You cant go wrong. You just have to take the plunge. You'll be happy that you did it.
  • R&R Futures Trader
    Options
    You can be good or bad, makes no difference. The egg will make whatever you make better and guess what it's FUN to COOK on the EGG :)

ross
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    As Egg-Vader would say. Patch, come to the Egg-Side...
    Come to Ocala, see what can be done on the Big Green Egg. All it will cost you is some gas and time. Warning, be careful of PBM, he bites... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: If you buy a large Egg and don't like the way food comes out, call me. I will buy it from you.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I am not a trained chef, just an ordinary blue collar worker that wanted more options in the grill/smoker on my next purchase. I got impatient waiting for a guy from a couple of towns away to show up so I could get some pulled pork. No way would I try that on my old gasser. The variety of what can be cooked, grilled, smoked is up to your own imagination and desire.
    I purchased my LBGR in Oct last year and wish I hadn't waited so long! :(
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    as For Me Limited cooking....

THen I found this www.nakedwhiz.com and this forum no looking back now :laugh: 3 eggs later of course :woohoo:

Seriously, if you can follow directions you will be a ok. Do yourself a favor and buy a thermapen and a remote thermometer and with the egg you are 90% there ;)