Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

words escape me and a SPAWN update

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
first of all i'm speechless over the response, number of responses, to my posting about the spawn. . .i told her this evening about how many there were (along with the emails and phone calls i've recived asking about her and wishing her well), and she was just so touched to know that she has so many friends and loved ones out there and that you guys care so much for her, me and our family... . words just don't come close to expressing my feeling for you people right now. .. .

now, for the update on her status ... while she is still a sick kid, everything was an improvement today over yesterday . . .today was basically 'test' day, where just about every 'service' in the hospital was running tests on her to see what the effects of her 'episode' (thats the kindest word i can think of at this time to describe this experience) were on all her systems/organs... . she had an EEG to check on her brain, CAT scans to check on her pancreas and kidneys, more blood work, etc. ... so far, everything is checking out in positive ways. .. .about the only real big concern is her kidneys, and they appear to be improving steadily. . . doctors just say its going to take a few days to get over the 'shock' of what happenend, but they are pretty confident they will fully recover. ... goal for tomorrow is to get her to eat a pretty normal diet so that they can get her off the IVs and back on to normal insulin shot regimen (instead of IV insulin) ... .

one thing that did hit tonight though was that the 'realization' of what happened to her finally set in, and she got pretty emotional about the fact that she has in fact died and been brought back to life. ..thats a pretty big enchilada for a teenager to swallow and have to deal with, so we are going to talk to the 'pros' about that as well tomorrow.. . . but as she and i talked through that together tonight we agreed that apart from "figuring out the whys of what happened and working on the medical issues to understand it, and work to prevent it in the future", she also needs to look forward and not backwards and understand that for whatever reason, she has been handed an "opportunity" or "second chance" here and she needs to make the most of it. . . and through the tears, she agreed . . ..

so once again, i know "thanks" for all the prayers/vibes/wonderful messages may be the understatement of the year, but i just don't know how else to express it ....but i think you all know how sydney and i feel about all of you. ..you are the best!!!!!

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Thanks for bringing us up to date. Maybe we can breathe a little better now.

Give her our love and tell her our fingers are still crossed (although making it a bit difficult to open the Egg).

Spring "Breathe In, Now Out, Now In, Now Out...." Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Very nice news. Most everything checking out. Confident of a full recovery for the kidneys. Talking about learning from everything. Even just being able to talk.

It's good enough for me to sleep on. Hope you get some good rest too brutha. Thanks for the update. Now get some damn sleep!

Go Spawn!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    Max,
    WE can't come close to imagining what you've been going through. We're all glad to hear that Sydney is improving. We'll be thinking about her, and sending all the positive energy we have. The girls send their love.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Thanks Max!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Max,

Sounds like most things are to the good side. You probably need to get a little rest. What you have been through is unimaginable. Take care my friend. I'm sure others have offered but if you want to talk 905 301 1131.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    There is no need to thank us Max. Just let us know if we can do anything for you all.

We all wish you and her nothing but the best and our prayers are with your entire family.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Bless you two. -RP
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    I was brought to tears with last nights (original) post, and once again brought to tears with this post. So glad to hear Sydney is on the mend!! Her young body, and mind/psyche has been through quite the ordeal! I believe she has a great purpose on this earth, or she may not be with us today.
    Max, you are a man of strength and admiration. Thanks so much for posting the follow-up tonight!
    Sydney...get well soon! Don't know what it is, but you have work to do! You will make a difference in peoples lives! Get well! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    My prayers to you and your family

Okeejohn
    John wade
    Okeechobee Florida
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Any parent's blood would run cold reading about your daughter's ordeal, Max, especially knowing how close you and Sydney are. I'm delighted to tears knowing she's on the mend.

Bad things may happen to good people, but the Almighty takes them and uses them to His purpose. There is a reason Sydney is with us today. She has a mission. May she discover it and carry it out.

Please take care of your daughter, amigo.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thanks for the update and all in all pretty good news.

Our best wishes,

Kent & Shelagh
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    That is great news Max. Fantastic news indeed. Glad to here those tests coming back positive.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Hi,
    Just got home from work... I am glad to hear she is making a good recovery. I see a fair share of patients that don't make it from what I was able to ascertain in an earlier post which leads me to offer some advice for 2nd chances...

Number one (make sure of this one thing):
    http://www.gideons.org/BecomeAChristian/BecomeAChristian.aspx

Having 3 children 3 and under makes me realize that priority number one should ALWAYS be number one.

May God bless everyone! My Prayers or for her and for all of the family and health care providers involved.

~Pharmeggist
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    I had to do a little digging to find what this is about.
    SCARY!
    It is good to hear that the story is headed to a happy ending. -- and what a story she is going to have...
    My best wishes for the Spawn AND the rest of the family.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Max, I couldn't be happier to hear of Sidney's start at recovery. The body is a miraculous thing and in time will heal. Keep your spirits high and know that the reason so many care about you,Sidney and your family is because you've given so much to us. It is merely a reciprication of all the caring and love you've shared with us through the years. Make sure you take some time for yourself to sleep and take some deep breaths. She has a great team taking care of her, and you are already juggling a pretty full plate. If you need anything, and I mean anything, please let me know. When you get a chance, we'd like to get an addy to send her some cards and whatnot. Thanks for the update, my heart walks with you all!
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Thanks for the update Max. You know we're all rooting for her, She's a great kid and I'm sure she'll just pull out fine. Next time those tears crop up, just tell her to think about pastrami sandwiches ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I was not able to get to my pc for most of the day but every time I did I checked for a post from you for a update on Spawn. Diabetes runs in our family and I know how terrible and sneaky it can be. you can "feel" fine one minute then a little funny then BAM you are down. My Nana locked herself in the house and the paramedics had to break in to get her. when she did not show up for church they called and called then called 911. Nana would NOT miss church LOL her sugar was almost 800.... they have no idea why she did not die. they got her on the stretcher and wheeled her out sitting up and clutching her handbag. and just a babbling. they thought they had a drunk old lady on board :) hell would freeze over 50 times before that could ever happen :evil:
    But here I am babbling ;0 Just know that everyone is so glad that this is going to have a happy ending by the sounds of it and maybe she is meant to stay here and reform the wold of BBQ! hugs to you and your wife Max. what a crazy, scary emotional couple of days. Julie
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Still pulling for you all.

This sort of thing does change a person and the only thing you can hang on to is, "everything happens for a reason." There's higher power that watches over us.

Our love and prayers to you both.

Does this mean we can get the recipe for her brownies? ;)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I operate under the theory that laughter is the best medicine, so I
    I would venture a guess that the reason that Spawn is getting a second chance is that there are simply too many of us out here who haven't had her brownies yet! I'm still vibing for her!!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    There is so much I what to say right now, but the time isn't just right. More important things for you and her to take care of.

Godspeed and a quick recovery for Syd; and Max, stay strong and seek support where ever and when ever you need to.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I hope and pray she continues to improve. I want to get meet both of you at Waldorf... B)
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Glad everything is working out, It now becomes a life long commitment.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I must be still sleeping, I cant even post right..
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You and Spawn are truly blessed. Godspeed.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    Max,
    Glad to hear SPAWN is on the road to recovery.
    I hope to make it to an eggfest and taste her "special brownies" someday.
    Wayne
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    Hi Max,
    My thoughts and prayers go out to your family and I hope your daughter has a speedy recovery.
    I know what it's like to worry as my daughter was born with a serious heart condition. She has had open heart surgery and 2 cardiac caths. Everytime we go see the Cardiologist I worry like crazy.
    Those hours waiting for your childs recovery are eternity.
    Special children for special parents.
    Norma,
    Little Steven's wife
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Max

Great news on the tests. Thoughts, prayers and good vibes still heading your way.

Barry
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Max, I can't imagine the emotions you and your family have been going through the last few days. You all are much loved and we're grateful Sydney is doing so much better. God love ya', son! Give her a hug and well wishes from lady egret and egret........