Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Cornish Game Hens - Help?

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my BGE about 3 days and would like to smoke some cornish game hens.[p]I would appreciate some "old hand" suggestions.[p]Thank you

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Kyle,
    This is a real good recipe.
    Larry

[ul][li]JJ's Cornish Hens[/ul]
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Kyle,
    Here is how I did it.

[ul][li]cornish game hens[/ul]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Kyle,
    Those are both good recipes but they won't result in "smoked" birds. That requires smoke at a low temperature for some period of time. Try this trick, we use it all the time: Prepare your birds with whatever rub or marinade you like, spray with olive oil, put them on sitters, spatchcock them or just leave them whole. They should be raised over a drip pan. Start your fire in whatever way is good for you, and right after it catches, put on two chunks of your favorite wood or a large handful of chips. Put the racks, drip pans and birds on, close up the egg and leave the bottom door half open and the daisy wheel on and half closed. This will allow smoke to develop and last for 30-60 minutes as the fire slowly raises the temp. When it gets close to your cooking temp (350-375), close it down to maintain that temp and cook the birds until done; usually another 45 minutes or until the joints move easily or the breast temp is 165. Have fun.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    bfchicken&v.jpg
    <p />Marvin:[p]It kind of depends on what you are looking for. If I want a grilled bird with some smoke flavor here is what I do: I preheat the cooker and damper as if I was preparing for a "low and slow" cook. The butterflied and seasoned birds are placed on the grill with some dry wood chunks stirred into the hot coals. The vents adjusted for a 200º cook and twenty minutes of smoke gives me all I need. The vents are then opened to grill the bird at somewhere between 350º and 425º dome. [p]Alternatively, you can do some "low and slow" smoked chicken as I do my famous low and slow ducks (or is that infamous?) just not cooked as long due to less body fat.[p]Regardless, I think we are doing the same basic cook, just reaching it via a different route . . .
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    djm5x9,
    You're right. Nice looking picture!

• Kyle
    Options
    Marvin,[p]I am pleased with the help I received from you and others. I have put the BGE to work and the hens turned out great.[p]Thank you very much for your help.[p]
  • Kyle
    Options
    ravnhaus,[p]It is a pleasure to have access to so many who enjoy the BGE. I have done the hens and they turned out great. [p]Thank you very much[p]Kyle
  • Kyle
    Options
    YB,
    I truly appreciate the help you gave me in forwarding the link.[p]The game hens turned out great.[p]Again, thank you.[p]Kyle

• Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    Options
    P2150012.JPG
    <p />Kyle,
    Rub them down with some fresh rosemary, brown sugar, honey, garlic, and rub. Then stuff them with wild rice, bacon, scallops etc and cook at around 350 for 1 hour.
    -Joel[p]P2150013.JPG[p]P2150015.JPG[p]P2150016.JPG[p]P2150019.JPG[p]P2150013.JPG