Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping the WIFE and getting the EGG

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok - I let me wife read all the posts to my 'EGG OR WIFE' topic I posted yesterday and she has agreed to let me purchase the egg! Getting it tomorrow! Yahoo! I think all your testimonies won her over! So THANK YOU!

So..from what I learned on this site in one short day - I will put in CAPS all the info I learned from you all - here is a breakdown of my day tomorrow!

7am - Up and adam and preparing my SPATCHCOCK chicken!
8am - On the road to pickup my new LARGE egg - not the medium - family is too big and they make many more accessories for the large!
8:55am - Waiting outside the front door of the egg store 5 minutes before it opens -
like its Black Friday
8:58am - With my face pressed against the glass of the front door to make sure I see movement and some form of human life, I read the owners lips say 'this damn fool is waiting in line by himself in 10 degree weather! - then I read his wifes lips say 'he might be homeless - call 911!
9:00am - I almost knock down the owners daughter while she is still trying to get the key out of the front door and run to the green eggs - which are only 7 feet from the front door!
905am - While still trying to catch my breath! I begin talking to saleperson about purchasing my must have starter accessories of a THERMOMETER and a PLACE SETTER - he comments you must have researched for months!
10am - Heading to GFS and Menards to pickup my WOOD LUMP CHARCOAL and my WOODCHIPS - smiling at the person next to me at every red light like I just found Jesus!
Noon - lighting my egg and cracking my first BEER!
1pm - just finishing my 3rd beer and putting my chicken on the egg - NOW THAT THE SMOKER IS READY TO GO
2pm - Realizing I just cracked my 6th SAM ADAMS beer -I decide I better slow down or my wife may associate the new egg with my drinking too much!
3pm - My neighbor walks over to my deck in this 10 degree Michigan weather to see what smell so good! Has a beer and walks home jealous - 5 minutes later, I hear him arging with his wife "HOW COME YOUR NOT LIKE THE NEIGHBOR WIFE'!
4pm - The wife walks in and can't believe how good the house smells!
5pm - my wife says 'I can't believe I was worried about you getting one of these - this food is great!
7pm - After clean up I crack my 12th SAM ADAMS BEER - while my wife thinks its only number 6 - I hide the first 6 empties prior to her coming home!
8pm - I am online at DIZZYPIG.COM to order some rubs, then head over to NAKEDWHIZ.COM to dream about the table I will have by spring, then over CUTCO.COM to look at knives!
9PM - After arguing with my wife because we can afford it now - I hit the 'BUY IT NOW' button on a small green egg! In the background my wife is yelling one egg is not enough! - 'what about the damn side dishes you fool'!!
10pm - Fall asleep with a grin because I realized today was truely my first day of living!

PLEASE FORGIVE ME ABOUT THE LONG EMAIL! Tonight is like Christmas eve for me! Just be happy with me!

If Saturday does happen like this - I may be back on Sunday morning asking for tips on Clean Hotels that charge by the month!

Bob

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bob, welcome to egg land. We are going to like you very much.
    Good post....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    That's just beautiful, man. (wiping tear from my eye)
    Congrats on the major progress.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    bob, where do you live?
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    Fun, isn't it! And the EGG experience gets better with time! Where in Michigan? I was born in Detroit and grew up in Livonia. Now live in Florida for the last 8 years. I sure do miss the Fall colors, not so much of the winters. Come to the EggFest in Ocala, Florida in March 21-22. You will love it!

Okeejohn
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    That made my day!! :woohoo:

I think we also forgot an extremely important accessory. If you don't already have one, you need a digital camera to document your day and post the results of the cook. If she doesn't think you are crazy yet, she will when you are posing with your new egg and your xxTH beer in 10 degree weather begging her to take a picture that you can send to your new friends.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    ya but once you get the egg home is she keeping you......could be one of them female master plans......we never see coming till too late.......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Geno,

I live in Jackson Michigan!

Your not going to hunt me down because of the long post are you?
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Of course not. It's just nice to know if you have any other eggers near you. We are down in Alabama. Good luck on your first cook.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    you are SOOO right! Happens just like that :lol:
  • Hey OKEE,

I live in Jackson Michigan! but work up in the Detroit area alot! Congrats on making it out of Michigan!

Baby steps bro! Hopefully I will make it to eggfest Ocala in due time! Egg first - Ocala second. I have 3 young kids - maybe I could plan a DISNEYWORLD trip around OCALA!

Thks
    Bob
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Make sure you take a little brown paper bag with you tomorrow in case you start to hyperventilate. ;)
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Hehehe congrats on your decision! You won't regret it... I was just as excited when I got my egg and and even more excited every time I use it as I try to find new ways to use it and new things to cook in it...

cheers and good luck!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Congrats...leave yourself a little time for assembly.

My wife's statement before I purchased my egg..."I hate ribs"

After, still no admission she "likes" ribs, though I've seen her eating mine numerous times...goes for the pulled pork as well.

Her favorite is roasted chix on the egg....

And I think she's resigned herself to the fact that I will be getting a small egg someday....
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    You're gonna drink a gallon of the stuff in a few hours. Welcome to the Cult.

Great story. Where in MI?
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I think the buying of an egg is just the first in a series of purchases. I am searching frantically for a Canon Xsi. My desire was fueled when I tried to take a macro shot of some moink balls I cooked and could not get it in focus with the proper light. Then I've been to ciucuit city every other day trying to catch the best price before they are all gone. Well too late, I was at the firestation the day they were dropped to $560.00 and they were all gone. If I find another good deal and can get to it in time, I'll be just as happy as ribhead is about his egg.
  • Jackson - about one hour east of Detroit!

I drank the Kool Aid without owning one yet!
    Thanks
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Ribhead,

Great story and congratulations.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty nice day, but you forgot to book your trip to Atlanta. -RP
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Good tale, "HIDING THE EMPTIES" should have been all caps. :ohmy:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Isn't it lime........green? :woohoo:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    my must have starter accessories of a THERMOMETER and a PLACE SETTER

If you want to get the lingo right it's a Plate Setter, like something you would stack in a kiln to hold plates.

I hope your day goes as well as you are planning, but more specifically that your wife digs the Egg! the rest is just icing on the cake.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Read the first post, but erased my response before pushing submit.

Thoughts sort of spilling over here...

5pm hope your wife thinks more of you than that, if not, the egg is the least of the worries.

10pm I love my egg too but I would hope/think other things might transpire.

Don't forget the smoking wood, apple or cherry is great.

Congratulations, and you should have a great day. Better plan something else to eat during the day/evening. One first day meal on the egg isn't enough. Some hot dogs or brats are great.

GG
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Thanks, that post had me in stitches.
  • Metalhead
    Options
    wow that's great. I'm glad you didnt have to get rid of her. You know the standard rule.........
    "If I cook....you clean" she thinks that she is getting a great deal having you getting eggcited about cooking. Wait til after you get the second egg to mention the golden rule.

There are alot off really sick people on this forum who have more than 1 egg.....myself included.....there is just me and I have 3 eggs and I know of several other ppl with multiple eggs....they are addictive(caution do not let your wife read these responses)

going out to eat will never be the same

welcome aboard :)