Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcock chicken

Options
golffer
golffer Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I thought there was no way I could screw this up. First one was out of sight and so simple. This time I used EVOO and rub, put in fridge overnight, let stand to room temp and put on egg at 350 for approx. 50 minutes. Two chicks, one slightly larger than other. Maybe I took off grill too quickly :unsure: Both were rubbery and tough :(

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    golffer,

Did you do them direct?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I done three yesterday. No oil or nothing. Right out of pack for a rinsing and coated with DP Jamaican Firewalk. Raised grid @ 350 for hour and fifteen. They were awesome. These chickens are some kinda good.
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 72
    Options
    One thing I've found, which is peculiar, is how much variability there is with the EGGs. For instance, when ever I put a bunch of burgers on the egg, I get a ton of flames and smoke because of the fat, and yet some people don't have this problem.

In the case of the spatchcock chicken, I do mine indirect, with no oil on the skin, and the skin comes out crispy and the meat is fantastic! I've done mine direct, and like the burgers, the fat drippings cause way too much smoke and imparts a nasty sooty flavor on the chicken. And yet some people cook indirect (or direct) and still get rubbery skin. Weird.

I'm not sure why this happens. I guess maybe it's the difference in lump, ingredients, cooking temperature? I'm not sure.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    When you get the flare-ups when cooking burgers do you have the lid on the egg up? When the lid is down that stops flare-ups.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Craig,

I can't speak for all direct chicken cookers, but personally (and I'm pretty sure several others will agree) I've found the answer is to elevate the grid. If it is at "normal" height, the sooty, greasy smoke is an issue. If the grid is raised to the level of the rim or even a little bit higher, the issue is resolved.

Two chickens and 50 minutes? Doesn't sound anywhere close to enough time. Did you check it with a thermometer? A lot of the published guidelines for temperature tell you when the food is "safe", not necessarily when it is "done".
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The only thing I cook at the regular grill level is steaks.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I agree with the elevated grid and also keep the lid closed when cooking the burgers. I like to keep the lump full almost to the top of the fire ring, but have found that if I need to keep the flair ups down less lump is better. I almost always cook with a raised grid.
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Tonight I'm roasting two spatchcock birds...I'll post the results with pic's, share some tips.
    Stay tuned for "Spatchcock".
  • golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Options
    Unfortunately not. Did the first time when they were so good.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    One can accomplish almost the same as a raised grid if you lower the lump level inside the firebox. I very seldom cook without using a raised grid in my large.

What was the meat temperature when you pulled the chickens?

For me 350° and 50 minutes wouldn't be enough time. I would probably have to cook about an hour and 15 minutes. That is direct with a raised grid.

I always cook to meat done temperature rather than time. For some reason chicken spatchcock or whole seems to be done close to an hour, when I am cooking at 400°, 450° or 500°. I usually pull the chicken at 165° in the breast. Always very moist and tender. I have had people say the chicken breast is too moist.

GG
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Only cooked about 4 spatchcock chickens myself but I have been cooking them 1 hr 15 minutes at about 170 degree breast temp. I let one get away from me and it went to nearly 2 hours to 190 breast temp and it still tasted great.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I don't know why, but chicken always seems to come out great - as does pork.

GG
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Last one I did was 70-75 minutes, not on raised grill as usually recommended but still quite tasty. I cooked indirect with 350º dome.

Sounds like your cooking time was a bit low. It also might be prudent to recheck your thermometer calibration. "Rubbery" implies the meat wasn't as cooked as it should have been.