Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Check out my new cart!!!!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Steve, if he did that then the granite will not be level with the lower deck. Since it's all-screw construction, it should be easy to lower the lower deck...old screw holes will be covered by the deck planks.
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Darnoc wrote:
    Thanks for the info.That opener will save me a lot of money because when I go out to the Egg and take a look I'll think that I have had a few beers already.

LOL....that's what I was thinking.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    It's Beautimous.

When you put the feet, make sure one is straight in the back. Keeps Egg from rockin when you open. You are going to enjoy it a bunch and you won't even notice the 1/2" height difference with the feet.
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Sorry it is also glued on every screw joint. There will not be any unscrewing and moving, at least not without any major surgery.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Contrary to many "eggsperts" you really only need one opener.
    Opener.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i think it would look nicer just slipping a quarter in where the feet are supposed to go, you can slip them in out of site and you wont notice its been lifted. all you need is a slight space. a pretty easy fix for 75 cents. some here use the feet in cooking setups inside the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wow glued and screwed, it must be bullet proof too ;)

btw Yates, it's beautiful and a work of art. Care to share the dimensions? I'd like to build one once the snow is gone.
  • Yates, I'm also curious what kind of support structure you have under the granite.
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Sure there are detailed plans on nakedwhiz. Here is the link.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/cart.htm

The plans for this really good.
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    7/8 X 4 solid red oak 6" on center
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Harleydog77,

This is not old but it is retro.

DSC_0113-2.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Very nice table! Nice design and workmanship. The feet will add so little to the height it probably won't change the spacing between your egg and the table. But if it does, it's all good because there will be a lot of heat coming off the egg.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Nice cart -- I haven't read through all the posts, but I'm sure someone has already told you not to take that slice-a stone for granite... [..."granted," it's a yolk!].

I'd sure wanna tippy-toe over that thang, if I were the Egg!

[Another attempt at lame humor...]

~ Best!

~ Broc
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Yeah that was pretty lame humor, but still funny. It was pretty sweet. I was able to get the granite for free from a local granite countertop contractor. When they cut the hole for the sink there is a little left over that they don't have a use for. If you sweet talk them with some beer or smoked pork you might be able to hook up with some to save some cost.

-Yates
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Great job on the cart! Haven't read through all the posts yet, but make sure you have the feet as a spacer between the bottom of the egg and the granite piece.
  • belle's dad
    Options
    Looks great. From the looks of the surroundings, the cart may need skis also.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL

PS - It may freeze here tonight,also.
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    Nice looking cart! Would look good with some snow skis
    attached to the legs....ha
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Rub it in funny guy. Just kidding. Another month or so and we will be on the tail end of this winter. It was a bad one up here in Wisconsin.
  • belle's dad
    Options
    A bottle of Dewars doesn't need a bottle opener. My table does fine without one.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, Fl

It' cold outside and will get colder. I've got the egg covered so it won't freeze. The house is full of my wife's orchids. 100 or so.
  • belle's dad
    Options
    Went to the last two years of high school in Delafield, Wisc. many, many years ago.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, Fl
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    I would use the feet between the Egg and the granite.

Check with your Egg dealer he may have some laying around that he may part with for free. My dealer gave me a couple of extra sets when I told him I use the ones that came with the egg for cooking.

Nice looking table by the way.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    NICE TABLE!

excellent work! The linseed oil makes the wood look fantastic, but how will it weather? (just curious. I have a rockin' chair on the porch that needs some finish work and I don't want to use urethane...)

for bottle openers, look here first

http://starrbottleopener.com/

or here:
    http://www.cymba.com/starrlicense.html

you won't find anything for less on ebay, and these guys have a selection.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Spend some time on the Naked Whiz site and you will see that there is a reason for the feet. He has an article there about feet and heat. The Mods here don't like it if you post the reasons you need the feet. Conjecture and such. In any case, nice table.

Take that article with a grain of salt. It is inaccurate and uses pictures of other problems to sell the point that the author was trying to make.

But you do need feet.
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Linseed oil should weather great. That is the ingredient in thompson's water seal that adds the UV protection. Also it is an oil and not a varnish or lacquer it should expand and contract with temp change. I have a friend who is into woodworking and he swears by it. Linseed oil isn't much cheaper than thompsons, but you are supposed to cut it 2 to 1 with mineral spirits whereas Thompsons is full strength so you get more bang for your buck with the linseed oil.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Harley,
    Thanks for the informative post. Thats one great looking cart. Im going to be doing mine sometime in the next couple of months so this helps me out. I will probably do the same cart you got there. I might add a handle.
  • devmode
    Options
    I just bought one from bottleopener.com a couple of nights ago ... I checked prices and it seemed like theirs were lower for the same product compared to a few other sites.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    very nice!
    Kent Madison MS
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Nice cart, great craftmanship. I don't know how you can wheel that thing out in the snow when it looks so nice and new. Guess they all get dirty sooner or later...

If you want to use the feet on top of the stone (which I highly recommend) then don't worry so much about raising the egg. I ran into the same issue when building my table because I initially designed the table for a thin stone and no feet. After discovering the heat problem and burning my support shelf I did a ton of research and concluded that I needed to use the feet on top of split firebrick. This rasied the egg up another 1.5" above original plan, and then I decided to use larger caster wheels on the bottom and these added another 2.5" to the entire table. The lip of the egg was now 4" higher than planned and at first I thought it would be much harder to cook on.

After using the table for more than a year now I am very glad that I rasied the egg slightly. I am about 6' tall and I find it easier to reach the grid at the new height. The gap between the table top and the egg did open up by another 1/2" or so but this improves the airflow under and around my egg and lets the heat out from my table which has completely enclosed shelves. The outside of the egg can get very hot, hot enough to burn you and burn wood over time so it is best not to have the table too close to the rim anyway.

If the extra height really bothers you then could always shorten the legs a bit and/or use shorter wheels. Or cut about 1/2" away from the tops of the support boards under the stone base. Good luck with whatever you do.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Great job on the cart, the red oak looks awesome. The feet "can't hurt". You can use three or even 4 feet if you want. I did the same layout with the Egg on the right and it's been great--I write left-handed but golf right-handed. Anyway, great looking table, real professional look to it.