Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Redfish Tacos

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to Frank in Houma, we have some redfish and we now know how to cook 'em so they are delicious.

We blackened some a couple of days ago and had four pieces leftover. For lunch today I thought, what the heck, let's see if they make good fish tacos.

Yes they did and I ate all four of them. No photos though. I'm still trying to wipe the smile off my face.

Spring "The Nap Lamp Is Lit" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I did some blackened cod fish tacos last week, they were really good. -RP
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I saw your post. That's what made me think to try it.

Thanks for the tip.

Spring "Tipp'n The Scales" Chicken
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    It is hard to beat a good fish taco. You are making my mouth water. Do you have a recipe for the tacos?
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Sorry to create a mouth watering situation for you but they are good.

My blackened redfish were already done (leftovers) so all I did was heat the fish and some corn tortilas, spread a bit of mayonaise along with some red & white cabbage cold slaw on the tortilla, add the fish, fold over and chomp down. Simple and tasty.

Good luck.

Spring "Simple Is A Good Thing" Chicken
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Since Ross beat me to the enchilada thing, I think I'll do Blackened fish tacos instead. That's what Mama really wanted, anyway. I may do some fried ones for me. This is Blackened Orange Roughy from Saturday night.

Mike

blackened023.jpg

blackened009.jpg
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Looks good. Were you happy with them?

We're having Sam Salmon tonight. Sam's has bags of individually frozen single-serving size pieces of salmon. It may not be the absolute freshest or highest quality salmon but it sure is convenient. They thaw quickly and can be cooked in a number of ways, all tasty. I'm think'n hot cast iron pan.

That means I will have had fish twice this day. Maybe that will keep me alive for a couple'a more days.

Unlike your piled up plate of assorted goodies we'll probably just have some bushes with it. Maybe some tap water to really Eggcite the palate.

Spring "Still On This Side Of The Road" Chicken
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That looks delicious! Never thought of blackening orange roughy. Will have to try sometime.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Are you using the same blackening seasoning that Frank originally talked about?

GG
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Kent,

I suspect SC's blood sugar elevated after eating ALL FOUR tacos and not saving any for Ms. Judy and now he is recharging.
    Or he may be putting together some sort of recovery plan to make up for eating ALL FOUR tacos.

I suspect he is still using the Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Seasoning - he had an extra bottle when I was there the other day.

:lol::lol:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Frank, I need to get some ordered. I have been using some of DP's and blackening.

Kent
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Frank is correct. I had an extra bottle.

Check in the spices section of your local supermarket. I'm betting they have the whole line of Chef Paul Prudhomme's products.

His Blackened Redfish seasoning is not limited to just redfish I learned when I read the label..

aulPrudhommesBlackenedRedfishbottle.jpg

But it sure does a good number on redfish.

Spring "Red Goes Well With All Things" Chicken
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to post that. I need to check our local markets. Hopefully I can snag some here locally.

GG
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    Now I gotta have me some fish tacos. :) Is there a recipe for the sauce that goes on them, or is it store bought. If I remember correctly they have cabbage on them. If so, is the cabbage dressed any way or just grated and applied as is. Thanks. FG
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    Now I gotta have me some fish tacos. :) Is there a recipe for the sauce that goes on them, or is it store bought. If I remember correctly they have cabbage on them. If so, is the cabbage dressed any way or just grated and applied as is. Thanks. FG
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    If you Google "Fish Taco Sauce" you will get 285,000 hits, including a couple of YouTube video demos. That suggests to me that the possibilities are limitless. And I'm pretty sure some are dependent upon type of fish, diet and taste preferencs

I did some one time with sugar added to some mayo. It wasn't great but it worked.

This last batch I just spread some mayo and added some sweet coleslaw.

I think there's another recipe that uses plain yogurt with some simple ingredients.

The sky's the limit. I'm betting you could create something very suitable to your tastes. Go for it.

Spring "The Fun Is In The Creating" Chicken
  • Mr. D
    Mr. D Posts: 32
    Options
    Great job on the blackening thing.

Being a Louisiana "coonass " from Opelousas, La. I had the pleasure of knowing Paul and he does a great job on his seasoning especially " blackening " seasoning.

Checkout his site http://www.kpaul.com for seasoning in larger containers
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Being from Louisiana myself (North) I've been keeping tabs on all the new Louisiana Eggheads coming aboard. A lot are now living in other states but they appear to be living up to their Louisiana reputations as good cooks and good partiers. I know I've tried.

I've met at least three: Chef Wil in Lafayette, Frank in Houma, and Mike in Abita. All are excellent cooks who are willing to Eggsperiment. I will look forward to meeting you too.

There are probably enough Eggheads in Louisiana to have a Louisiana Eggfest. It would sure be a fun event. But in the meantime, you might want to come to the Texas Eggfest. It is currently scheduled for April 25th in Austin. That could change but it's the target date. Keep it in mind. We would love to meet you.

Spring "Filling In The Spaces" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA