Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok, now, sing along with me.....

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guess what's sittin' on my back deck?
Doo dah,
Doo dah.
A small green egg with a spring assist hinge,
Oh, doo dah day!
Gonna cook all night!
Gonna cook all day!
I'll open that sucker with just one hand,
Oh doo dah day![p]What's that? I have to go back to my room now? Ok.... Do I have to wear that funny coat with the straps? Ok... But can't I take some pictures first? They want to see pictures... Ok....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    smauto.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,[p]You'll like it, trust me on this one![p]K~G

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    KennyG,
    So, you can use a small indoors? Or do you have to open the door? I'll have to wait until tomorrow to put it all together since we have a big baseball game tonight. This team was one of 2 to beat us last season and we want revenge. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, while I don't have a small with a spring assist hinge (I do on my medium and large), I do have a mini with a brand new hinge. This hinge has a single scissors type hinge but instead of opening 8 1/2 inches (from grill to lip of top dome) it opens a whopping 12". It certainly makes it easier to get into and with the single hingle, it makes it easier to close. Do dah, do dah

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Woe woe is me. I have a mini with a hinge so horrible I have to put charcoal in a little bowl and then pour it in. I have a small with a hinge so horrible, I have to do the same although I can use a little bit bigger bowl![p]I have a large with a spring hinge, but had to buy it from a competitive company because there was no such beast from BGE when I got it.[p]Time to bug them to get my springgie hinges for the little guys.[p]Doo dah?[p]mShark
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mollyshark,
    Doo Dah!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I have really enjoyed the new spring hinge on my small egg.I love the new hinge on my mini also it opens so much wider and easier.
    Larry

[ul][li]New Small Egg Hinge[/ul]
  • KennyG
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]"The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and the trees are greening up nicely. When are you going to get all that cooking stuff out of the garage and onto the deck?" --CarolG, April 20,2003

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p] Did you get the egg with the band already on it or did you order the band separate. Called Seasonal Distribuors to see if they'd have the bands for sale at the Eggfest, but they said they don't expect any in for a while. Anyone know if they can be ordered direct from BGE?[p]Mike
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    MikeO,
    I ordered a small egg with new hinge and my dealer took care of it. He has older small eggs with the old hinge in his store, but he was so tired of me whining, he got a new one for me. :-)
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]According to BGE these spring hinges are not available yet.[p]Strange how several folks get them... but we are still told they are unavailable.[p]What's a fella got to do to get a spring hinge for his small BGE?

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    ball park this for me.... how much is a small with spring hinge. i think i have to have one.
    Seth

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    seth,
    I got mine a little over 3 years ago for $200. Ballpark for today would be 250-300 comfortably equipped. Take note, this is my lame unresearched ballpark. But it is a ballpark nevertheless. Hope I am within the ballpark with my ballpark.[p]The small is a righteous cooker. A thing of beauty. Portable, but works the same magic as the other eggs. And ask RhumAndJerk. You can cook for a family for years on end with one. You can fit a bunch of food in there if you are clever....and I know you are.[p]I love being able to throw the small in the back of the pathfinder on a whim. Plus, it is my single serving lunch cooker at home...as well as my rub experimentation cooker, and side dish or backup cooker. Buy one now. [p]A big tuesday afternoon "heeee" to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    MikeO,
    I just called BGE in Atlanta last week, and was told the spring hinges still are not out yet. He said the band is too big for the lip on the egg, so when you close the lid, it doesn't seal right. He said they are thinking about putting the rutland gaskets on them, to make a thicker seal. I sure would love to know why some people can get the bands, but others can't.[p]~nikki

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Classic. Pure classic. Tell Carol I say hello! I've been trying to talk my wife in to letting me go to Waldorf. She keeps saying no. Where are you at? You going?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    My ball park was $300. They now come with daisy wheel and thermometer, so that was the total price. Needless to say, I'll be doing something for a cart, too.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Boccie,
    I guess do what I did, WHINE for 8 months. But my dealer ordered it and got it. Dunno....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    You planning on using sifficient bracing?

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    Options
    Hi John,[p]I'll make this decision by the end of today. Hi to Laurie from us![p]Ken

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Dad gum!!! I nearly forgot. I guess that comes in the second verse. Hee? Hee! Doo dah![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Got my 2 for my larges today. [p]CWM