Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire grate

Options
cobrastrike
cobrastrike Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got both the cast iron and the ceramic for my Medium egg. I've had the iron grate in for a while now, but I saw that the ceramic one has bigger holes in it (with the iron one having more but smaller). I've been experiencing some heat problems so I figured that I'd try it out to see if it helps. What's the general recommendation on which to use?

Comments

• batt
    batt Posts: 40
    Options
    I have standard grate and cast iron grate. I have never used the standard grate that came with the egg. The cast iron grate is puts really good grill marks on your steaks, and is prolly better at heat transfer for higher temp cooking. I think the effect of the cast iron would be minimal on low temp cooks.

What do you mean by heat problems?
  • cobrastrike
    Options
    well, by grate, I'm not referring to the cooking grate. I'm talking about the fire grate in the bottom on the fire box- guess I should have clarified that!
  • The cast iron will give you better airflow all round. The ceramic will break at some point.

When all we had was the ceramic people were trying to come up with all kinds if things to improve air flow including using the cast iron floor drain grates found in cellar and garage drains. They worked and now you have the CI.