Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday Morning Biscuits

Options
Nucman
Nucman Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning Fellow Eggers!
I never in my life ever thought I'd be cooking biscuits on a Saturday morning on a grill! I think that these came out better than in my convection oven. I've only been using this egg for a week and besides a bad gasket, which has been promptly taken care of, I have nothing but praise for this LBGE! I think that I'll retire the weber kettle. Can't wait to cook some more!

The Nucman
Baton Rouge, LA

DSC_7090.jpg

DSC_7092.jpg

Even the bottoms came out perfect!

DSC_7096.jpg

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Options
    Welcome aboard Nucman! Play it safe, and keep those temps down below 400 for 10-12 cooks...no sense prematurely nuking that pretty new gasket! ;)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks great congrats!!!

you may want to invest in a BGE pizza stone.. (yours looks thinner if it is a bge)... if it is not a bge it MAY explode.. or at least crack.. so it would be wise to have a back up ;)

biscuits look great i am experimenting with some bread making this weekend also :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Man those look good. Biscuits are my favorite food. Here's the way they were cooked when I was growing up.

346593B4447Ffp633Dot3E23273D83A43D9.jpg

I cooked these on the Egg many years ago.

Thanks for reminding me.

Spring "Brisket Fueled" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Biscuits look good. Homemade or Pillsbury Grands? Let's see your recipe if homemade. My one and only attempt at biscuits resulted in hockey pucks. Haven't given it another try yet. Spring Chicken, those are some nice 'Cat Head' biscuits you made, too. Care to share the how-to? After my failure I started reading up on biscuit making and think the reason was I tried to knead the dough rather than just mixing and leaving the shortening in larger pieces instead of creaming it. What do you think?
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Terry,
    It may explode, but I have a thin one about the same thickness as his in the pic and have used it at least 50 times and it is doin' fine. I have a BGE brand one, but actually prefer my off brand to it, until it finally gives out. Just bring it up to temp with the egg and it may survive for a while.
    Nucman, those are some great lookin biscuits! Keep up the good grillin and keep postin pics!
    Although I am a bit hypocritical, because I had some turkey burgers for lunch and salmon for dinner, both turned out amazing and I didn't get the camera for either. :unsure:
  • Nucman
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. It was the first firing and I was only heating to 350* when the gaskets came off though. I've had a few cooks at 350*-400* with this new one and so far it's ok. I'll continue to play it safe for a while longer.

Thanks again for the tip!

The Nucman,
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • Nucman
    Options
    They were Pillsbury Grands. This was my first attempt at baking on the egg so I didn't want to do too much in the way of making biscuits from scratch and them not turn out. Then I would have wondered if it was the egg or the biscuit recipe. Now that I know the egg bakes like a champ, I will definitely try a homemade recipe.

Happy Eggin'

The Nucman,
    Baton Rouge, LA