Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canuck Chili

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't want to get in a tomatoe/ tomato argument here. We eat chili in the GWN and we aren't purists. This is when I put the herbs in.
011-12.jpg
This is the chili
012-13.jpg

This is what the boys had.

014-10.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Hsbldr1
    Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    Options
    my delima (spelling...what you gonna do) would not be tomato tomatoe but rather spoon or ladle. :silly: man does that look good
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Located 1000 miles south of you (and even using the kidney beans), I'd love to try a bowl of your red. Based on your use of LaBomba I'm sure there's a little kick in that chili. Something has to keep you defrosted being that far north.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Gunnar,

I use a can of chipoltles and a can of jalepenos for heat along with cayenne and some hot sauce. It isn't weak.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Forget fresh, that'l keep the ice off the windshield, and the trunk....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Tomorrow will be a good day

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    so the boy's split that and you ate the rest?? :ohmy:

bad dad,,,bad dad :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    That looks excellent!! :) But cough, cough!! Don't think I could possibly take that much heat! :woohoo: Make sure you have some baby powder handy in the morning.... :woohoo: :evil: :woohoo:
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Looks super, Steven, fit for a Texan :evil:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    What are those turd shaped red things in there, chile don't need no damned beans. -RP
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Steven,
    Damn that looks good!
    Ross
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Oh yah...Chili gotta' have some beans, at least here in Northern MN. But it's OK if you don't want any in yours!!
    OTOH: Little Steven, you've got to give us a blow by blow of the making of that super looking pot of chili...
    A "general" recipe perhaps? Please?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just an FYI... The Safari browser provides built in spell checker and grammar checker... It is also standards compliant, and includes a popup blocker. It will check both spelling and grammar as you type. Safari is FREE for both the Mac AND PC and can be downloaded from the Apple site at http://www.apple.com/safari/download
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hey Steve, Now that is chili! LOl that is how I do mine too!! but to even offend the purists more I love it over rice or mashed potatoes then the chili and then the sour cream and chopped green onions and grated cheese. Maybe now that I am in FL for the winter I will understand the thin wimpy soup they call chili down here :evil: :whistle: In the GWN we need stick to your ribs food :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i like the chili with the beans too, if you simmer it down just a little more any leftovers make a great pie.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    fishlessman,

I was going to try the cornbread chili pie.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Mr. & Mrs Potatohead,

I don't have a written down recipe but I'll try.

2 1/2 lbs sirloin cut in to 1" cubes
    3 Lbs ground beef
    4 large onions large dice
    1 each red and green bell pepper large dice
    4 stalks celery large dice
    8 cloves garlic minced
    onoin powder
    garlic powder
    DP Cowlick
    3 small cans tomato paste
    2 16 oz cans diced plum tomatoes
    1/2 cup hot chili powder
    1 Pint (20 oz) beer dark ale or stout is better
    3 cups beef broth
    1 4 oz can chipoltles in adobo
    1 4 oz can jalapenos
    2 tbsp ground cumin
    1 tsp cayenne
    2 tbsp Cholula hot sauce
    two cups coriander leaf/cilantro chopped
    1 cup parsley chopped
    6 sprigs thyme chopped
    2 large cans dark red kidney beans

Season the beef with onion powder garlic powder and DP Cowlick and brown in canola oil. Drain and remove to bowl
    Using the same pot and drippings brown ground beef with two diced onions and 1/2 garlic. Remove with slotted ladle to a bowl.
    Saute remaining vegetables and garlic in the same pot. Add tomato paste and cook for five minutes.
    Add both bowls of beef and liquid, beer and cook til beer and liquid are almost gone. Add the stock, chopped chipoltles, chopped jalapenos, hot sauce and spices.
    At this point I moved out to the egg which was at 300 with hickory chunks
    After 1/2 hour add one can of tomatoes and both cans of beans, another 1 hour add the other can of tomatoes.
    After desired consistency is reached add the herbs and cook for ten more minutes.

Serve with Shredded Jack, sour cream and chives as garnish

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    Steven,
    I am in Vancouver BC so its good to know that there is someone else up here with an egg. I am new to it and I have had fun with it so far. I have a hundred questions and your chile bought one to my mind.
    What is the best type of pot to use when cooking chile, stews etc.
    thanks
    Mike
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Hey Mike,

There are a few of us on this forum. I like cast iron on the egg for chili and stews and searing, enameled cast iron for soup, beans and poultry dishes and carbon steel for drip pans for drippings, paella and woks.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks Steven,
    While I am on it do you know of any canadian distributors of lump coal. The dealer out here has wicked good charcol. It is good but 25 bucks for the bag including tax. I have used the royal oak stuff canadian tire sells but not that impressed with it.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    great looking chili!!!

i thought you might thrown one of these guys in

DSCN1190.jpg

DSCN1191.jpg

:laugh: :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I have a VERY well seasoned cast iron dutch oven / roaster that I only use on the Egg. I love it!