Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

took the taster's challenge

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A while back there was a thread about Mexican Coca-Cola which is made with cane sugar and then recently Marc of IL posted one about goats milk. I made a trip to locate both today because our electricity was off and cabin fever was starting to take its toll!
IMG_2786.jpg

The cost was $1.89 for 1 bottle of the Coke and the quart of milk was $4.99. I clearly agree with Marc that the goats milk is superb and is rich and full bodied - almost like drinking half and half. OTOH I'm not sure that the Coke is worth the premium cost. It definitely has a sweeter taste, but seemed flatter than a normal US bottled Coke.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RCflier
    RCflier Posts: 57
    Options
    Never tried cane sugar coke, sounds interesting.

For Dr. Pepper fans, I'd recommend trying the original cane sugar Dr. Pepper. Again, maybe not worth the premium cost, but a nice treat every once in a while. too bad it's only really available online.

Dublin Dr Pepper
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Ahhh, yet another in the long list of reasons I live in Central Texas...I can get "Dublin's" at the grocery store and convenience store down the street.

As a kid who grew up on the taste of "real" DP, it's worth every cent! ;)

RCflier wrote:

For Dr. Pepper fans, I'd recommend trying the original cane sugar Dr. Pepper. Again, maybe not worth the premium cost, but a nice treat every once in a while. too bad it's only really available online.

Dublin Dr Pepper
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Boy you brought back some memories...

In a previous life one of my many jobs was to keep the horse walking around in circles to drive the cane press. I was very young and the horse probably knew more about what to do than me. Even so, I was a participant in the annual sugar cane cutting and syrup making at my grandfather's farm. I can still smell the 'squeezings' as it boiled in a huge vat, eventually becoming homemade cane syrup. If you are lucky you can find people who still make it that way today. Worth every penny.

Here's a photo of an old mill similar to the one I 'worked' at.

SugarCaneMill.jpg

Back then it was unheard of to use corn syrup in the making of Coca Cola, DR Pepper or RC. Or thin syrup. People would demand better.

Life was good back in those days.

Spring "The Ancient One" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Ray
    Ray Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm a avid Diet Coke Drinker these days.. The only regular Cokes I'll drink are the Imported Cokes that are still made with cane sugar.

I quite drinking Cokes after the whole "New Coke" "Coke Classic" fiasco happened which is when they changed from cane sugar to corn syrup. Coke Classic actually taste more sweet than Original Coke to me.

Coke has also started over carbonating their cokes in plastic bottles to compensate for the carbon dissipating. I rarely drink 20oz Diet Cokes for that reason and will usually get a 12oz can.

Ray
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I don't know about the Mexican Coca Cola, but I remember when Coke switched to Classic. We still had a couple of cases of the original that was made with sugar. The original was much better.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    P1010010-2.jpg

Wether it's @ 10,2,or 4...

Life is good in Texas!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    How much rum do you have in the glass?
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Preach on Brother Chubby! ;)
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    None...but you do see I left the required "headroom"!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    I have to try this. I remember when I was a youngster we lived a block away from a DP bottling shop. I new that DP had a better taste back then.
    We could by sodas for a dime

RCflier wrote:

Dublin Dr Pepper[/quote
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You the man.
    Happy New Year.
    I'm home now and got one of my own.
    Off work on Friday so I get to start early...
    Take care,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas