Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Monk Fish Recipe

Options
Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody cooked this fish before? I got some and would like some recipe suggestions and/or tips on how to cook.

Okeejohn B)

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive seen it made into sausage and in chowders and boulabaise type stews. with the sausage it was pared with a lemon beurre blanc sauce, i think you could grill it on a bed of chives and serve it with the sauce. it would definatly work in bigbawbs seafood casserole that was posted here years ago with the strawberry zin creme sauce.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Known as one of the ugliest fishes in the ocean, it is also one of the most succulent (if cooked properly) and is often called "poor man's lobster". I tried it once with not much success. Here's a recipe that might be of help. Good luck!
    http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/RECIPES/RECIPES/Fish/monkfish.html
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    I've done it on a cedar plank with garlic butter and lemon. I would do it again
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You mean this one?

Casserole, Seafood, Bigbawb

Bajatom,I havent made this in a while but i really like it, i need to go catch some haddock. use the strawberry zin, and if using wet packed scallops, reduce the sauce by more than half, the wet scallops will add lots of liquid when cooking

INGREDIENTS:
    3/4 lb fresh haddock,cod or scrod; bite size chunks
    1/2 lb medium shrimp;tails removed
    1/2 lb fresh scallops,sea or bay(if sea,then cut into quarters)
    1 1/2 cup red wine(like riunite lambrusco or arbor mist strawberry zin.)
    1/2 pint light cream or half and half
    1 sleeve of RITZ crackers,crushed
    4 or 5 tsp butter or margerine

Procedure:
    1 Combine wine and cream in small saucepan and reduce to ½ its volume over medium heat,careful not to curdle the cream;stir frequently!
    2 Pour thickened sauce over fish in casserole dish
    3 Spread crushed crackers over entire surface,and place pats of butter on top of crackers
    4 Fire up the egg and bake this INDIRECT at 300 degrees for about 40 minutes,or until fish is firm!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Bigbawb bkhwsky@mediaone.net

Source: BGE Forum, Fishlessman, 2006/03/03
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy John
    Monkfish is a very interesting piece of meat. As was mentioned, it's way uglier than a monk, but bones are not an issue. There is one down the middle of the tail (which is where the meat is). Get the skin off if you can. If grilled hot until browned and just done (as I like with most white-fleshed fish), it is a little tough.

Yet it is always good in a soup or chowder, and has a texture much like lobster (as was already mentioned). I think it just likes to be cooked with some moisture.

Back to cooking on the egg. If I had me a piece now, I'd apply my favorite seafood rub and brown it hard like a steak, then remove and let cool a little, then set in a pouch of foil with a little liquid to finish it off.

And to make that nice browned piece of moist fish taste real good, a nice splash of a creamy sauce to coat.

Just some idears. Please let us know what you end up doing!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ