Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine advice for chicken

Options
GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on cooking up some spatch cooked chicken tomorrow and I thought I would try brining the chicken first. The chicken will just be fryers so I don't think they would need much brining time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[p]GJ

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    GJ,
    I'm a big fan of brining, but spatchcocked chicken does not require that process. Generally, I reserve brining for thick, non-fatty meats; turkey and pork loin are good examples. But if you want to try, I would limit the time to 6-8 hours using 3/4 cup of salt and 3/4 cup of sugar per gallon of water. The other flavors and spices are fielder's choice. If you use a sweet liquid instead of water (like cider), back off a little on the sugar. Let us know how it turned out.

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    GJ,[p]I agree with Marvin. I am a huge fan of brining, but I don't bother with butterflied poultry. Cut into a spatchcocked chicken last week, and the juice shot almost a full foot into the air. Funniest thing I've seen in a while.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    GJ,
    I'm with SSDawg & Marvin. I brine poultry for low & slow cooks; cook butterflied birds at higher temps.[p]Ken

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    "I'm a big fan of brining, but spatchcocked chicken does not require that process."[p]It doesn't require it, but it couldn't hurt. I've brined spatchcock chickens, chicken parts, boneless skinless breasts, etc. and it always turned out great.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    I've tried spatchcocked chicken both ways, and didn't think brining was worth the effort. My two cents...[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Oops, hit the button too soon. However, having tried it and thinking it isn't worth the effort, I think anyone who hasn't tried it ought to at least once. It was fun, just not worth it to me.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • GJ
    GJ Posts: 45
    Options
    Marvin,[p]Thanks for all the responses. I have done spatch cooked a couple of birds and both times there has been some red between the joints. My wife says the chicken tastes good but she wants it cooked longer. I was hoping thta the brining process would remove some of that blood.[p]GJ
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    GJ,
    Gotta side with your wife on this one. I don't like the red either - don't care what anybody, or my thermometer, says. Try this whole, butterflied, or "parts": clean the bird thoroughly under cold running water. Dissolve a cup of kosher salt in a quart of ice water (or enough to submerge the bird) and hold it there for 30 to 45 minutes. Rinse and pat dry before proceeding. (My shortcoming - because the bird is there so short a time, I call it koshering rather than brining.)
    Ken

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    GJ,
    Just out of curiosity, what time and temps did you do the spatchcocked chicken at? I tend to do mine for an hour at 350-375 on a raised grid and the bird is always throughly done. And thoroughly juicy, so if you want to cook longer or higher, you probably won't be hurting anything.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Not quite, Ken. You have to bury the bird in piles of
    salt - no liquid - in order to call it koshering, and then say a prayer (I think the prayer is to keep it from gettin too salty).

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    GJ,
    I have found that birds that have been frozen tend to be discolored arounf the joints / bones. I tried a fresh bird from a Whole Foods source and could not believe the difference. It really is worth a try, and a couple of extra bucks.[p]-JodyMo

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Marvin,
    Would you believe... Presbyterian kosher???[p]Ken