Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Is your Big Green Egg still cooking even though it’s cold out? We hope so! We love the opportunity to cook heartier meals on the EGG during the winter. Some recipes you definitely want to try are Double Smoked Potatoes, BBQ Chicken Soup, Monte Cristo Sandwich and Breakfast Quiche. These are sure to keep your stomach warm & full! We can’t wait to see what winter-inspired dishes you cook!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Hot Tubbing?

mijoeymijoey Posts: 58
edited 2:22AM in EggHead Forum
To hot tub a steak can you use any source of hot water? What should the temperature be and how long do you hot tub it for?

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I do mine with 100 degree water in the kitchen sink, checking it with a thermapen and adding hot water as needed. Be sure to get as much air out of the bag as possible for maximum contact. -RP
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    I personally thaw all of my frozen steaks in the kitchen sink in hot water...whatever temp the tap is..and for however long it takes to get em warm..I am of the agreement you never want to cook a cold steak..it's a judgement thing unless you are talking about the commercial process of warming meat..and I can't even remember what that is called..but the equipment aint cheap..
  • mijoeymijoey Posts: 58
    Thanks Randy, I was afraid I might have to order a jacuzzi from you. Mike Melbourne Fl
    I'm all over that.. :)
  • I hot tub at 101* for 1-hr. like Randy said get all the air out of the zip lock bag.
    DSCN2803.jpg
    Then I sear for 2-min. per side @ 600*
    DSCN2805.jpg
    Then drop the temp to 425* and roast 4-min. per side.
    DSCN2809.jpg
    Thats for med-rare.
    DSCN2812.jpg
    Ross
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    sous vide, I think. -RP
    wee wee...thank you kind sir...give that Kimmie a big old smooch for me..you home...might just give ya call and ruin your evening.. :laugh: Merry Christmas my friend.
    Bahstad..... :laugh: ..lookin good..
  • :laugh: I prefer to soak myself in the Master Spa while the steaks defrost in a sink of cool water--can enjoy the first bottle of Old Vine Zin with no rush... :woohoo:
    After I posted that I realized that would actually be "afternoon" in your case... :(
  • I do both in my Spa!
    Ross
    Dam if you didn't just give me visions..Merry Christmas to you and yours.. :)
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    careful man. i know what goes on in hot tubs. i wouldn't want any of that cross contaminating my steak!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante