Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chasing the perfect ABT

Options
Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been working to fine-tune a shrimp ABT recipe. Frank in Houma, Big'un and others have already provided great ideas. First trial looked like this:

IMG_5298.jpgIMG_5302.jpg

IMG_5303.jpgIMG_5304.jpg

IMG_5305.jpgIMG_5306.jpg

IMG_5313.jpgIMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5317.jpgIMG_5316.jpg

I was fairly pleased with results (enough to snarf down all 12 in one sitting). I do want to increase the shrimp flavor and make the bacon and cheese a bit less prominent. Toothpicks weren't really needed. This cook was 350º dome indirect with drip pan and no smoking wood.

Expect progress notes...suggestions are invited.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    'snarfed down', excellent
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've tried shrimp ABT once, and did not care for the results. The shrimp were way overdone.

If I were to try them again I would parcook the bacon before wrapping.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Those look great but to me and my 'scarf 'em down' eaters, the original design is still the best: fresh jalapenos halved and cleaned, filled with cream cheese and a Little Smokey sausage, halves pressed together and wrapped with bacon. Pinned in two places. Cooked direct. Turned often until done. Then cut to bite-size pieces between the toothpicks.

ABTBites.jpg

Spring "Good Things Come In Small Jalapeno Packages" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    I find that if you keep the peppers whole (remove the top, seeds, etc - but otherwise in tact) that the shrimp is perfectly done when the bacon crisps up. I think the jalep protects the shrimp..

Fidel wrote:
    I've tried shrimp ABT once, and did not care for the results. The shrimp were way overdone.

If I were to try them again I would parcook the bacon before wrapping.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    My new favorite ABT flavor is/are the ones that AlaskanC and her crew cooked at the 2009 eggfest. They were salmon filled and DELICIOUS!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Just an idea for you since you found the cheese a bit overwhelming. Instead of cutting the cheese in chunks like you did I let it soften to room temp and then place whatever meat in the "boat" first. Then using a knife I fill the boat around the meat with the cheese thus sealing it in. Furthermore if you want some sweetness add a smear of Jalapeno Jelly on the cheese top before wrapping with bacon. And lastly I always hit the raw ABT's with a light dusting of a favorite Dizzy Pig rub. Also I prefer a light smoke - either pecan or cherry.
    IMG_2693.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Dave,

I see the bottle of Carnivore Que on the left. Isn't going to get better than that no matter what you do. I like to mix the cream cheese with another cheese, older and dryer. Never could understand why people took out the membrane. Pulled pork, shredded pit beef or brisket are good too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I agree. Ive done them with smoked salmon and they are great!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yo Rod
    Grind the shrimp up, add pork fat, then pack it in. That'll keep it from drying out. ;-)

Okay...here is my idea. Sliver of pineapple in the bottom of the boat. Light amount of cream cheese with some spices. Your choice. Then fill up the boat until just level (not mounded) with your ground shrimp/pork fat. Wrap in bacon (forget the toothpicks). Cook til bacon is done, place a shrimp (halfed longwise) on the top, then wrap the whole thing in prosciutto. Now you might need a toothpick. Cook til shrimp is done, and shovel the into your mouf.

Perfect? Maybe not. But sounds good in words. Hee!
    Have a great night buddy.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You're talkin dirty
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Now you're chunkin in there Leroy!!
  • Fidel
    Options
    I think you are a food genius. That sounds great.

No rub recommendation?
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Genius is a stretch for sure! LOL. Overly creative maybe.

Always try not to recommend dizzy pig, but since you asked, I would probably use Shakin the Tree.

Or the new almost-released "Pineapple Head" on the inside, and Firewalk on the outside.

Now, all we gotta do is convince someone to try grinding pork fat into their shrimp.

Happy holidays bro!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I like that idea. Shrimp AND bacon make everything better. I even put shrimp in a Philly cheese stake sandwitch. Was great! Think your closing in on the perfict ABT! ;)
  • Fidel
    Options
    I'm on it chief...if Santa delivers on that new grinder come Thursday morning.

Thanks for the great idea.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I like that idea. I can see how it would protect the shrimp doing it that way. What do you use to get the cream cheese into the jalapeno? It seems like you couldn't put much in and have room for the shrimp.
  • reelgem
    Options
    What a great idea! You never cease to amaze me with your ideas.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Sweet!
    A grinder for your kitchenaid, or a special propietary unit? That's exciting. Lots of possibilities.

BTW, one of my favorite dishes is a Vietnamese dish. Basically pulverized shrimp with garlic and other goodies mixed in. Then the resulting "paste" is wrapped around a piece of sugar cane, lightly breaded and fried. Dang. You dip the whole thing in fish sauce, eat the shrimp and then suck the sweet juice out of the sugar cane. The shrimp (even though ground up) cooks up to the same texture as a whole shrimp, but with all the flavors of the garlic and other goodies inside. It's amazing, so I got thinking about a shrimp paste with fat mixed in for the ABTs.

Cheers, and keep me posted on the pork fat/shrimp mixture if you actually try it!

Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Chris,I'm intrigued by this new "Pineapple Head" rub.I can't wait to add another delicious rub to my collection :woohoo: But I gotta know,did you come up with this idea at 5:00 A.M. in a parking lot somewhere around Tucker Ga? :lol: :laugh: ;)I'll be waiting for it ;)

Eggfest08061.jpg
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    You mentioned that you want to accent the flavor of the shrimp.

I suggest thinking Asian.

Blend your cream cheese with some shrimp paste purchased at your local Asian market.

(Thanks, Nature Boy, for showing me at Waldorf that blending herbs, spices and whatever into cream cheese and piping it into jalapeno shells is the way to go in life!)

As I like the flavor you are heading toward, I would add a few drops of Thai fish sauce as well. And just for fun, I'd add some finely chopped cilantro and green onion to the cheese mix.

Going really crazy, I would also blend in some fresh galangal (which can be purchased at HMart) grated with a microplane. Failing that, use fresh ginger.

And to reduce the emphasis imparted by bacon, I'd wrap with serrano ham. I'd prefer serrano to prosciutto in this dish for it's a mild flavor.

That's what I'd do. Yep. That could be on my Egg tomorrow.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I told the wife, er Santa, that I wanted the KA attachment, but then I circled a nice 1/4 HP unit that BassPro had on sale last week - so it is anyone's guess what gets packed on the sleigh.

And I promise I will try it...I'll try almost anything once - except for that stuff stike told me he did while working his way through design school.
  • reelgem
    Options
    Those pics are killing me! My egg is snowed in with ice and snow and I can't get to it. I think I'm just torturing myself on the forum tonite. Those really look good.
  • reelgem
    Options
    Hey Molly, could you post the recipe? I would think you'd have to be careful with the salmon so it doesn't get dried out.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Anne. Shucks. I was just thinkin. Sometimes it looks good on paper, but would be cool if it actually works!

One time I tried to come up with a rub that used the flavors of orange and tea. Like something that would be good on duck. I wrote this recipe out, and it looked like it would be amazing. When I mixed it up and tasted it, I couldn't believe how far away the flavor was from my vision. So far away that there was no hope.

Cheers Anne, and happy holidays!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • reelgem
    Options
    Will be going to Ocala or OKC? Would love to catch up with you again. Del and I were really glad we got to meet you in Atlanta. Had a blast!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I like to freeze my Little Smokies. Since they are already cooked and only need to be heated, they will keep the cream cheese cold while the bacon cooks. About the time the bacon is finished cooking the Little Smokies are warmed up.

It keeps the cream cheese from boiling out.

Spring "Freezing Warm Down Here" Chicken
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    LOL!
    Cool picture. That pineapple Ray brought sure got around. I think we actually cooked that thing at the Jack a week later.

Naw, I came up with this fruit rub early summer, and now have it tweaked so I like it. So did people at Wess's Tikifest (they were even talking about putting the rub on meat...my word).

I'm past my quota on computer time for the day. Dang, this is fun.

Night night and happy holidays!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • reelgem
    Options
    That's a great tip! Thanks!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    IMG_1351.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Ocala has proved to be elusive. I keep saying "next year". Soon I won't be able to keep saying that. I really want to go. OKC??? What's that?

Will be in Waldorf for sure, and you and Del are always welcome to stop by here if you are swingin through the DC area. Had a blast hangin with yall as well!

Holiday cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com