Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry substitute? re: P.Chop Recipe

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Boy Howdy....things sure look different around these parts....guess I've been away too long!
Howdy all, I'm in a quandary as I'm considering cooking an old RhumAndJerk recipe, "Grilled Marinated Pork Chops with Habanero Cherry Sauce"....a recipe from the nearby Chimayo Restaurant (that burned down this year :( )...I don't think I can find fresh cherries required for the sauce....any ideas? Can I buy frozen? will they work?....or substitute different kind of berries?-I can get rasberries and blackberries fresh and delicious all day long.
Thanks for your help, Eggers!

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Well hello there! it has been awhile! Frozen cherries will be fine if it is a recipe that involves cooking them at all, you will not know the difference. If it is important to have fresh I would think raspberries would be fine or the black berries. Let us know what you go with and how it comes out. maybe share the recipe :whistle: LOL and a picture is even better. Julie
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Use a little from a can of cherry pie filling and mix with some chilies and mix in a blender. Chipotle might be a good substitute for a sauce mix.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Our favorite new glaze is simply Cherry preserves mixed 50/50 with Billy Bones Original sauce (but should work with any bbq sauce), so try using cherry preserves. They are pretty chunky, so you might want to run them through with an immersion blender or food processer if you like.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Big Murth
    Options
    I've always had this recipe in my notebook I printed out almost 8 years ago...and never went for it because it indicated it took a "long" time to prepare the sauce. But, it's probably no different from the KC Struttin' Sauce I've made many times out of Jamison's "Smoke & Spice", a small labor of love but worth every minute invested...thanks for the recommendation on using frozen cherries, as I want to stay as close to the original recipe as possible.
    Gracias to all who replied!
    Big Murth
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Buy a bottle of pomegranite syrup(Rose's I think); it's where you would buy mixers for dring alchohol. HTH.