Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan - Round/oval/square? Disposable/durable?

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been looking for a round drip pan for my large. I found some wedding cake pans that came in 12" or 14" diameter x 2" deep. The 14" was actually 14-1/2" diameter and I thought that may be a little too large and restrict airflow. The 12" looked a little too small for a couple of pork butts. After searching the internet, I found that wedding cake pans come in 13 inch diameter that may be just right. Too bad they all seem to be pretty cheap aluminum pans that probably would not stand up to to making gravy too many times (say if I used it as a drip pan for a large prime rib)

I usually use disposable aluminum rectangular pans, but these are no good for gravy making. I had a cheap rectangular roasting pan, but the non-stick surface stopped sticking to the pan. Now I need a new roasting pan for my egg, but thought I might be able to kill two birds with one stone and get a round roasting pan that could also be used as a drip pan. However, it's hard to find a round roasting pan.

So, I decided a survey was in order!

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I have tried to good one and the cheep ones and have ended up going back to the foil ones. If I am doing gravy I put it in another pan to do it. I still can deglaze with some broth or wine and add to the good pot. I like being able to just toss it :) and nothing has really held up to constant use. we cook 4-6 times a week at least. Not always with a drip pan for gravy but I just bought a case at Sams and there they are when I need them. for less than the cost of a good one that will great ruined anyways. I hate the trash part as we recycle as much as possible .
  • egginator
    Options
    I've been doing the exact same thing (but the pans come from Costco), but I keep thinking there's something better out there.

- One vote for don't worry about it, have a beer (to paraphrase)

Ed
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have a square roaster and and an oval roaster here. One of the oval roasters is enameled.

Just for the grins I used the disposal steamer pans I get at Costco/Sam's/BJ's and had some fine gravy.

I would tell you to stay away from Copper Clad ones because the copper is mixed with tin. Tin will melt at temps easily reachable in the egg.

In the end get what is best for you..
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i think you meant tin will melt at a HIGH temp?! typically tin lined copper is only rated to 450 degrees
  • egginator
    Options
    Max,

I didn't reply to your turkey thread, but I did make a quasi-max turkey the week before T-day. No butter/herb rub, just EVOO and STT, no lemons or anything, but the gravy technique was the same (well not so much wine and gluten free flour). You have single handedly transformed me from a packet of gravy + drippings dude to getting an A gravy grade from the MIL ( a very good cook by the way) -- Quite an accomplishment. Thanks,

Ed
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I meant at a fairly low temp compared to other metals. I corrected my verbiage. :woohoo:
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Sooo…You’re saying that the Egg will produce a hotter fire (in normal cooking) than the gas flame on my stove!!??!! Thus, a tri-clad shouldn’t be used??
    I’ll give you that I’m a cast iron guy in the first place, but have to ask what the “H” would you have a tri-clad in an Egg at 700F +++ for in the first place? Inquiring minds want / need to know??!! :huh:
    In regard to drip pans in general: I would think that the round cake pans would be great. Don’t have one, but do use a 9” x 13” on a regular basis and I’m happy with how it works out. :)
    A bit too small at times…But still OK.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    How many times have you heard of people pegging the egg because they forgot to check it?

Hell I have pegged my Tru-Temps a few times and they register in excess of 1000 degrees.

Chit Happens
  • jbh
    jbh Posts: 23
    Options
    I've been using a 14" round pan for a while now, no airflow problems. You'll need to raise it up off the platesetter a little; I use a small cooling rack as the spacer. Egg feet are too tall.

It also of course works on top of the grid as a roaster pan.

I just line it with foil for easy cleanup; whatever's in it always burns and isn't something to deglaze.
  • fdxegger
    Options
    I bought a 15" rectangular pan from HEB about 0700 Thanksgiving morning when I realized that my old pan had a small crack in it. For less than $5 it worked well. Used a couple of pieces of scrap ceramic tile as spacers. I use Easy Off Oven cleaner to clean it when the pan gets too grungy on the inside.
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    check the drip pans on eggaccessories.com (it now has a new name). After fighting the drip pan wars with throw aways and wrong fits, I went with the pans on the egg accessories site. Form, fit, and function. For me they are perfect. thanks rc