Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need a recipie for 8 pound brisket

ATLEggHead
ATLEggHead Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking an 8 pound brisket tomorrow and I need a recipe. Also ,do I need to use my place setter?

Comments

• Do a forum search for ribs and brisket ala zippy. I'm sure there are also plenty in the recipe section. I've never done one but i've printed off a few ideas for the time I do. B)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one I got from Pat this summer, not the normal but eggtremely moist and egglicious..

This recipe was given to me by my BGE salesman at Pinch-A-Penny here in Melbourne, Fl.

BrisketPat.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Whole Brisket
    Mix:
    1 12 Ozs Beer
    12 oz Water
    1/2 cup Brown sugar
    10 Shakes Worcestershire Sauce
    4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 Tbs Cayenne pepper
    5 Shakes Tabasco, to taste
    2 Tsp Onion powder,
    2 Tsp Dry mustard.
    S&P to taste
    Heat and Serve:
    2 Pkgs Au Jus, Mix as per package instructions.

Procedure:
    1 One whole brisket with fat trimmed then cut in half (to fit in steamer trays later---8 X 10 which are 1/2 commercial tray size).
    2 Rub the night before with your favorite steak rub, I use Montreal Steak Seasoning.
    3 Place both pieces on the egg at 250-275 direct for 1 1/2 hrs each side.
    4 Remove brisket pieces and put in steamer trays, 8 X 10 inches, dividing the liquid. mix and cover tightly with foil.
    5 Return to egg at 250 indirect (they can be stacked on top of each other) and leave for 4 to 5 hours.
    6 Remove and discard cooking liquid, slice against the grain and add au jus sauce (about 2 cups each container) and serve.
    7 If precooking for the next day wait until you are ready to reheat to add the au jus.
    8 Not the conventional way to make a brisket but it is really easy and the taste is great.!

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, FlaPoolMan, 2008/06/30
  • platesetter is a yes. Rub with your favorite, I also top the rub with turbinado sugar. Smoke indirect at 250 until it hits 190-195. Pull, foil and let it rest for about 2 hours.
  • I put some rub on, whatever I have available. In the egg indirect at 250 dome until meat temp hits about 185. I pull it and place it in a cooler for a couple of hours to rest. They have always came out perfect...like eating prime rib tender. In fact I usually have to cool it down in the fridge before I can slice it without it just falling apart.
  • Dirty1
    Dirty1 Posts: 42
    I am about to run out and get a brisket for my first try. I am planning on doing a butt and a brisket. However I do not have experience with the Brisket and was going to them essentailly the same method indirect @ 250 grid until 190ish. I am more concerned with getting an appropriate cut of meat. Do you guys seek out choice or select grades of meat? I have read a couple postings that said that was important.
  • NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    follow thirdeye's method including the slather. turns out GREAT!
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html