Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

need a recipie for 8 pound brisket

ATLEggHeadATLEggHead Posts: 4
edited 10:41PM in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking an 8 pound brisket tomorrow and I need a recipe. Also ,do I need to use my place setter?
·

Comments

• Do a forum search for ribs and brisket ala zippy. I'm sure there are also plenty in the recipe section. I've never done one but i've printed off a few ideas for the time I do. B)
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,861
    Here is one I got from Pat this summer, not the normal but eggtremely moist and egglicious..

This recipe was given to me by my BGE salesman at Pinch-A-Penny here in Melbourne, Fl.

BrisketPat.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Whole Brisket
    Mix:
    1 12 Ozs Beer
    12 oz Water
    1/2 cup Brown sugar
    10 Shakes Worcestershire Sauce
    4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 Tbs Cayenne pepper
    5 Shakes Tabasco, to taste
    2 Tsp Onion powder,
    2 Tsp Dry mustard.
    S&P to taste
    Heat and Serve:
    2 Pkgs Au Jus, Mix as per package instructions.

Procedure:
    1 One whole brisket with fat trimmed then cut in half (to fit in steamer trays later---8 X 10 which are 1/2 commercial tray size).
    2 Rub the night before with your favorite steak rub, I use Montreal Steak Seasoning.
    3 Place both pieces on the egg at 250-275 direct for 1 1/2 hrs each side.
    4 Remove brisket pieces and put in steamer trays, 8 X 10 inches, dividing the liquid. mix and cover tightly with foil.
    5 Return to egg at 250 indirect (they can be stacked on top of each other) and leave for 4 to 5 hours.
    6 Remove and discard cooking liquid, slice against the grain and add au jus sauce (about 2 cups each container) and serve.
    7 If precooking for the next day wait until you are ready to reheat to add the au jus.
    8 Not the conventional way to make a brisket but it is really easy and the taste is great.!

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, FlaPoolMan, 2008/06/30
    ·
  • platesetter is a yes. Rub with your favorite, I also top the rub with turbinado sugar. Smoke indirect at 250 until it hits 190-195. Pull, foil and let it rest for about 2 hours.
    ·
  • I put some rub on, whatever I have available. In the egg indirect at 250 dome until meat temp hits about 185. I pull it and place it in a cooler for a couple of hours to rest. They have always came out perfect...like eating prime rib tender. In fact I usually have to cool it down in the fridge before I can slice it without it just falling apart.
    ·
  • Dirty1Dirty1 Posts: 42
    I am about to run out and get a brisket for my first try. I am planning on doing a butt and a brisket. However I do not have experience with the Brisket and was going to them essentailly the same method indirect @ 250 grid until 190ish. I am more concerned with getting an appropriate cut of meat. Do you guys seek out choice or select grades of meat? I have read a couple postings that said that was important.
    ·
  • NCSU-QNCSU-Q Posts: 104
    follow thirdeye's method including the slather. turns out GREAT!
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    ·