Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It is the Dego in me

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
that causes me to make this in my head, then come home & make it for dinner, the kind of plate that makes you forget about the craploaf life served you at work on this given day:

Fresh egg linguine with marinated & grilled shimp, topped with a sauce of olive oil, butter, hot pepper flakes, garlic, white wine, flat leaf parsley, & lemon, finished of course with locatelli & served with crusty bread, aged asiago & serrano peppers, method follows photographs if interested, assolutamente squisito:

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

To make, we shell the shrimp & marinate in olive oil & fresh garlic. A shrimp stock is prepared with the shells, onion, garlic & a little salt & pepper. While that is simmering, we incorporate 3 cups of flour & six eggs with a pinch of salt, knead for 20 minutes, then let rest for half an hour. While this is resting, we crank up the egg & maintain heat at about 300-350. As the egg is stabilizing, we roll, cut & hang the linguine & start a salted pot of water. As the water comes to a boil, we add olive oil & hot pepper flakes to a pot, heat, then add the stock, fresh parsley, & white wine. While that is heating, we grill the shrimp, a few minutes per side, then remove to a plate. As soon as the water boils, we add the linguine, cook it for about a minute, drain, & add to the sauce pot, toss in grilled shrimp, & serve with freshly sqozen lemon & locatelli (or whatever your favorite grated cheese is). It’s that simple, about an hour from start to finish e’ tu hai un bel’piatto, buon appetito
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Ok I just finished dinner and I am so stuffed that I can hardly move. it is sad but here I sit drooling! That pasta is to die for!!! There is just nothing better than fresh homemade pasta! unless it is topped with something from the egg :)
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I knew you were into cooking, but wow. Home made pasta is a treat to be had (only done it a few times tough). And it certainly did not involve incorporating flour and eggs into a simmering liquid. I worked with a stiff cold blob of dough and wore myself out. Was good though.

But putting flour and eggs into simmering liquid and churning out that gorgeous pasta like in your pictures?? Please tell us more Zippy!

Was really nice meeting you at the Tikifest.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    DUDE ...you are killing me with that ! and I've got about 10 pounds of turkey that I gotta eat. maybe I'll try putting some Locatelli on it! :lol:
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    holy crap, Zippy. that is a work of art!
    it is only 7pm and you had that for dinner???
    that is what this forum is about..
    i am glad the chocolate death pepper did not kill you as i am looking forward to sampling your cooks. :laugh:
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Chris, great to meet you too, wish I could have hung longer & had a few more beverages, maybe next time when I have a ride. The pasta is too easy not to make often, only takes about 20 minutes of work, & some resting time, but usually by the time the water boils you can crank out a batch, best with stuffed pasta, raviolli, manicotti & such, because it is so soft it doesn't fight the delicate ricotta within, now that it's pasta cutt'n season, I will likely be posting a lot more of this stuff - have a great day
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    well bill, I am a gracious recipient & I try not to disappoint, so I intend on eating that whole bag one pepper at a time. I felt unusually great all day long - extra bounce in my step, only problem is this, if I eat too many of these things, my daily dosage of cayenne will start tasting like they share space on the Scoville Unit chart with a marshmallow
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    DUDE, the TL Original is bad-ass, love that stuff
    happy in the hut
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Zippy dude, that looks simply outstanding! -RP
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    ZippY;

I'm impressed. My wife and I have made pasta a few times and it has never looked so perfect on the drying racks. Then plated with the shrimp it looks even better. Awesome!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Wow! That looks fantastic!! You really go all out. I'm putting that in my recipe archive.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Made me smile, Zippy-I love the fresh shrimp here in Charleston and often cook a very similar meal indoors, but I do like your idea of Egging the shrimp. I'll sometimes grill fennel and add that in, chopped, and flambé the sauce with Pernod to enhance the fennel. I also like to Microplane some lemon zest and mix that into the pasta dough to give a lemon pasta flavor.

I reviewed that very KA pasta attachment on Amazon here.

So, my question--do you really hand-knead for 20 minutes? I just let the machine do the kneading for 1-2 minutes with the dough hook after it mixes the dough. I wrap a portioned dough patty in plastic wrap, let it rest for at least long enough to fix my sauce and bring the water to a boil (20 minutes is more than enough) and roll & cut the pasta strands. it's not hard to have fresh pasta on the table 30 minutes after you walk into the kitchen.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Now that is one classey meal! Saving to favorites. The homemade noodles is the finnish great job. Now for a little chocolate Death for the wife for dessert?!! :evil:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Marc,

That looks pretty good. Of course, I'm just getting in to a plate of Holiday Inn lasagne :S . Now that's what I'm talkin about. :sick:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EgginDawg
    Options
    Looks GREAT Steven!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Zippy,
    Nice presentation an good photos!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Steven,
    I'm Sorry.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Dave, it is not necessary to hand-knead for 20 minutes, I just find that I get more elasticity, a better bite, when I do. However, the dough does attain a homogenous consistency much faster, & can be further worked by setting the roller on #1 & rolling the dough, doubling, re-rolling repeatedly, this also does a great job of kneading. I begin the same way, incorporation with the dough hook, then dump onto the granite & work it by hand (just never strayed too far from the roots). The one hour time estimate on this cook was for everything, certainly a batch of pasta can be cranked out & served in less time.

Regarding the fennel, love the stuff too, caramalized & paired with marinated artichoke hearts & goat cheese on a pizza is as good as it gets :)
    happy in the hut
  • ChefBrian
    Options
    Thanks for posting the Awesome photos. Now I have to dig out the hand roller.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Zippylip wrote:
    Dave, it is not necessary to hand-knead for 20 minutes, I just find that I get more elasticity, a better bite, when I do. However, the dough does attain a homogenous consistency much faster, & can be further worked by setting the roller on #1 & rolling the dough, doubling, re-rolling repeatedly, this also does a great job of kneading. I begin the same way, incorporation with the dough hook, then dump onto the granite & work it by hand (just never strayed too far from the roots). The one hour time estimate on this cook was for everything, certainly a batch of pasta can be cranked out & served in less time.

Yup, sounds like our technique is very similar. I do the foldover/re-roll as well.

Try tossing some lemon zest in your pasta dough next time, or some freshly ground black pepper, or some well-drained chopped cooked spinach...really nice!
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Dave, I am going to give the lemon zest a try, lemon anything is my wife's favorite, the more the better, I think she will really like the addition, particularly with this dish, thanks for the tip
    happy in the hut