Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What have I done wrong?

Options
Wipedout
Wipedout Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi - as I posted earlier I bought a new XL green egg a couple weeks ago and love it - have cooked some great meals on it. However tonight I opened it to clean up from last night and noticed I have already burned my gasket off. Tell me this isnt normal???

Now my last two meals (steaks and Pizza) were high heat. ANd last night after I closed up the grill I did notice a smell that I thought might have been the stone breaking in however now I realize it was probably the gasket.

What do I do to prevent this - also does this mean I cant cook again until I get a replacement.

THe gasket is almost completey gone on the bottom back and just a little gone on the top back - front of the gasket looks good. Im thinking I noticed I had a little smoke escaping back there - and was planning on looseing and resetting the lid down but hadnt had a chance to yet. - could that have caused it?

Thanks in advance

Robert

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Robert,

I have not used an XL, so keep that in mind. It seems there has been a run of bad gaskets, specifically adhesive on the gaskets.

Call your dealer or BGE direct. Explain the problem and request Nomex (Direct Only). From what I have read here on the forum request Nomex w/o adhesive. Then follow the provided instructions for replacement.

It sounds like you had a gap at the hing area of the dome. Make sure you dome is aligned.

If your gasket is gone, the only problem you may experience is keeping stable low temps and snuffing out the lump when you are done cooking.

You are going to have to clean the existing gasket off and install a new gasket.

Some dealers take care of this for their customers.

GG
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    First of all- you can cook fine without a gasket, shutting down will take longer though.

From what you say, it sounds like there may have been a little bit of gap there so the hot stuff worked it's way out and made the borderline gap into a real gap.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Gasket? :unsure:

What's a gasket? :P

Gasket are... overrated! Haven't has one functioning in about 18 months --

~ Broc :whistle: :S :ermm:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    cook long enough like that and the creosote will fill in the gaps in the gasket.. :woohoo: ...keep on cookin.. I don't even remember when I hadda gasket on my large...I've hadda Nomex kit laying around for more than a year thinkin I'm gonna scrape and sand the gasket seat and install it..but I cant find time in between cooks to get it done! :blink: :laugh:
  • Cincykid
    Options
    The gasket on my 7 month old XL is pretty crispy on the bottom. No worries, at least it doesn't smoke like the overheating diesel that is AZRP's gasket-less large. :) Make sure you lid is aligned right and to keep the leakage to a minimum. I may replace my gasket in the Spring with the Nomex but if the winter passes without issues I will probably ignore it.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I agree with the guys above who haven't had a gasket in ages...mine's long gone and I've never missed it, though I do take care to close the lid softly.
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm going to paraphrase the advice that I was received 4 months ago on this subject. Keep cooking, enjoy your egg, and don't worry about the gasket (unless it has glued your egg shut :laugh: ). I may try a new Nomex gasket in the Spring, but, for now I am too busy cooking worry about replacing my well scorched gaskets.... my 2 cents, rc
  • dukedog
    Options
    Just a quick note on what others have already mentioned elsewhere. The BGE customer service is absolutely amazing. I've had similar woes with the standard felt gasket, original and replacements, so I thought I'd email the mothership as others have done. Within 15 mins I had a reply apologizing for the problems I've had and that they've shipped a NOMEX replacement. No asking for receipt, no other hassels, just sorry for the problem and here's the fix. Been a while since I've dealt with a company that responsive. Local dealer has been good as well about giving me additional felt gaskets when replacements have failed. On my most recent replacement I added 3M 77 adhesive and it has mostly worked so far. I say mostly as there's still some "sagging" towards the middle and subsequent burn off in a few spots.