Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Indirect Setup

Options
Jeff J
Jeff J Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all just got my platesetter and I'm wondering whats the best set up for a indirect cook for ribs or a butt. In some pics it looks like some have the platesetter inverted with a grill on top of the legs and a drip pan between. Is this correct? I assume you put a v-rack above the top grid in this set-up. Is this just another 18" grid on top of the legs or does it need to be smaller? Thanks again

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jeff J, actually if you have your EGGsettera inverted with a drip pan under the grill (which is sitting on the legs), you don't need a V-rack at all. Just put the meat directly on the grill over the pan. Another alternative is to not use the grill at all but put the V-rack in the pan. The advantage to that set up is that you can easily sneak extra smoking wood in at the beginning of the cook.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Jeff J,
    Also, when you go to make pizza, leave the cooking grill in it's normal position, platesetter with feet down onto the grill, then add a pizza stone on top of the plate setter. This raises the cooking level, making it easier to get the pie on and off.

• Jeff J
    Options
    Wise One, so your saying put the platesetter in legs down then a v-rack in a pan directly on top of the setter? I was afraid by this set up, the meat being so close to the ceramic, it would effect the cooking time by once the ceramic heats up. I guess it doesn't make a difference. Thanks

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Shelby,
    FWIW, when I do pizza, I don't use the grill. I put the platesetter in feet down, and the pizza stone on top of the platesetter. This allows me to preheat the stone for 30 minutes or so and then throw some smoking wood in just before I put the pie in.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    butt.jpg
    <p />Jeff J,
    Here is a picture and a link to a writeup of my first pulled pork cook. The photo doesn't show it very well, but I had the platesetter in legs up, a drip pan on the plate setter, the grill on the platesetter legs, and a Vrack on the grid. I guess I didn't want to put the butt on the nasty grid or something? I guess I could have put the butt on the grid.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's First Pulled Pork[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jeff J, place EGGsettera with legs up and then pan with V-rack although the only difference is three inches closer to the fire. The only problem you might have with legs down is that if the piece of meat is quite large, you might be pushing it into the thermometer. Either way should work OK.

• site1010.jpg
    <p />Jeff J,[p]Here is my favorite rib setup for doing just a couple of racks. I'm not sure if the picture is too dark to see, but the setup is: Inverted platesetter with a piece of tinfoil on it, the grill/grid on the platesetter, then the ribs. Nice and easy to clean up.[p]Pout
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Shelby,
    I have used this method several times to clean off my cooking grill while doing a pizza, but I noticed the last time I did that the porcelin on my grill had blistered - again. This happened once before and my dealer replaced the grill. This time both my large and small grill have blistered - I put the small grill on top of the large during a pizza cook. I'm not sure that it is worth trying to get another replacement.

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Jeff J,[p] Put the plate setter in upside down (legs up) -- you do not need to put it on top of a grid -- the fire ring should support it. Next put a drip pan on top of that. I use a Brinkman "smoker basket" lined with foil for a drip pan -- it fits perfectly inside the now-upturned plate setter legs. Put the grid on next so it rests on the bottom of the legs (which are now pointed up) Put your food on the grid. I do three picnic roasts at a time this way quite often. If you really want to catch the juice close to the meat and have it further from the fire, don't put the drip pan on the plate setter, put the food on a v-rack, put that in a pan and put the pan on the grid.[p]Mike
  • Jeff J
    Options
    Pout, so yall are not putting the plate setter on a grid, just the setter down against the insides of the egg, correct?

• Jeff J,[p]Correct. When upside down, the platesetter sits nicely on top of the fire ring.[p]Pout
  • Jeff J
    Options
    Pout, great, Thanks!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Jeff J,[p]You will find the rare few of us who have the original prototype plate setters that have to use a grid because the setters were not large enough to sit well on the fire ring. You shouldn't need a grid with the new ones.[p]Jim
  • Wise One,
    What is a platesetter and where do I get one ?