Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me please. Adjusting the lid.

Options
beer30
beer30 Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I took the top off including the band to replace the gasket. Now I can't get the lid to close correctly with spring adjusted band for a "large" big green egg. A neighbor and I couldn't find a way to adjust the lid. Is there a way to make adjustments on the band? There has to be something simple we are over looking? I remember having this problem once before when replacing the original lid because the band came loose and the lid fell to the ground and broke. Is there a diagram on the web site that shows the spring adjusted band and how to assemble it correctly?

Thanks, I will hang up and listen.

Comments

• are you sure your band is on properly, there is a little nub on it that inserts into a hole on the lid, if that is not centered, your band is on improperly, which could affect that closure - Zippylip
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    when you took it off did you secure it in a closed position using the two white plastic clips that came with it when you replaced it back when? or at least did you strap them together with "wire bundle" ties? Also please describe exactly what you mean about your problem - is the dome just not setting down on the base? or is it raising when you tighten the bolts? Are you sure you have the band on right side up? meaning the L shaped bracket is laying on it's front as an L and not on it's back.
  • RRP
    Options
    maybe I wasn't too clear so here's a picture
    IMG_0462.jpg
  • beer30
    Options
    No those two plastic rings are long gone. I did try to use 2 black plastic ties. It obviously didn't work. What I believe happened is as soon as loosened the band that hold the top lid and took the lid off the band lifted up a bit. Now when I put it back together the lid is not closing properly I have tightened all the bolts but when you shut the lid it won't lay flush with the bottom and has moved back at least 1/2 inch. I have no idea how to adjust this. Remember the instructions that came with that band are long gone. From what I can tell there are no bolts to loosen and tighten that make adjustments? All bolts need to be very tight?
  • beer30
    Options
    Yes the bands are lined up correctly so that the nubs insert in the holes.
  • Hey buddy
    The lid is not that bad, its the gasket thats a pain, Anyway here goes, this works,
    open the lid, loosen the bottom band slowly
    until you see the band start to slide down
    the back of the egg, YOU have to do it slowly
    cause you only want the band do come down
    just a little. once its down, hold the
    hinge so it does not come down anymore and
    tighten lower band immediately, once tight
    close lid and do dollar test, I bet its much tighter than before. ITS simple really, the
    hinge in back is connected to both top and lower band, if lower band comes down, then so does lid. If this does not work, call bruce in customer service and BGE in atlanta.
  • beer30
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try again.
  • to beer30

Hi Beer, remember once new gasket is on
    and set back on egg, the chances of it lining up are, atleast on mine are small,
    just because this BGE is not machined to exacting tolerances, biggest concern is to have a good seal, thats all that is important. Good luck BigBull
  • RRP
    Options
    or as I have said before you need to have some weight or pressure holding your dome down when you tighten the nuts. The easiest option is if your egg is in a table take a wide board and place it on your open dome. Then ask your "good natured" wife of at least 100 pounds to sit on it while you tighten the nuts. A child of the proper weight will also work. If no wife or child will subject themselves to a chance of being photographed then use a 2 x 4 and a couple clamps like this this.
    IMG_0415.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Bigbull,

RRP's picture with the clamps is a good suggestion and as Bigbull said call Bruce at HQ.

There is a video on YouTube saying to loosen up the hinge nuts. 8 3/8" nuts by the hinge.

I had the same problem as you are describing when I tried that. It was a pain in the ars.

I ended up tightening up those 8 smaller nuts with the band/hinge assembly off the egg.

I put the dome on the egg, slid the bands/hinge on the egg. I didn't 'lock' down the hinge but probably should have.

Tightened up the lower band, put pressure on the dome and lowered the upper band down over the dome ridge and began tightening up the upper band.

I tightened up the band bolds (2 larger bolts) until good and tight but not bending. While tightening I kept adjusting the dome then putting pressure back on.

Did the dollar bill all seemed fine and then finished up tightening the band bolts until they bend.

If the band lip on the dome or base is now as wide as the band you need to talk with BGE as that is a problem.

GG
  • beer30
    Options
  • beer30
    Options
    difficult I would've never taken that lid of. Next time I replace a gasket, The lid won't be removed. I promise you that! It may make for a half azz job, But I learned my lesson.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    My first gasket replacement on the large, I left the dome on. It was real hard cleaning the old gasket off back by the hinge.

I am going to have to replace the gasket again on the large and I probably will take the bands off.

I had the bands off when replacing the gasket on the medium and it was much quicker and easier.

just my 2¢ worth.

GG