Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brinning My Butter Ball Breast

Options
GumbyQ
GumbyQ Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Am smooking my first turkey breast this weekend. I am hearing talk of brinning. Is this something I should do, or is it not needed for just a breast? I am using my new BGE. Planned on 25 minutes per pound at 250* dome temp. 6 and 1/2 lb. breast. Can some one please tell me how is brinning done? Thanks To All
GumbyQ

Comments

• Elder Ward
    Options
    GumbyQ,
    You might want to try your first one without. I have heard that if it is a butterball they are injected with butter or some such under the skin and therefore do not need the extra moisture. Not sure but it would give you a better base to judge future cooks with a brine. Start simple and develope your technique because unless you are lucky you will make mistakes no matter how much you read or have cooked on other units before Mr. Egg. :)[p]Elder Ward

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I agree with Elder, Gumby. Go with your normal seasonings for your first turkey on the Egg. Then you will have something to build on. I do breasts indirect at 350°.[p]Jim
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    GumbyQ,[p]I second JSlot's recommendation of 350°F indirect. Roasting time should between 13 and 15 per pound. Checking the internal temp is a better method for doneness. The target is 160°F to 165°F.[p]Puj
  • GumbyQ,
    I love to cook turkey breasts on the egg. When I have time I brine them. It will make the bird a bit moister and add a little salt and flavor to the meat. However, I usually don't brine them - they are still wonderful. I generally cook them between 300 and 325 for about two hours. I use a probe style thermometer and take them out when it hits 159, don't pull the probe out while you let the bird rest on the counter for about 10 minutes. Also, I have mentioned this in another post, but I like to add fresh green apply wood to my fire (I cut a branch about 3 feet long as big around as your pinky at it's widest diameter into pieces about two inches long. I add about half - a handful just before I put on the bird/s then the other half after the first hour.) This adds a very nice light smoky flavor, most any fruitwood will do fine.
    Sorry for the long post...

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    GumbyQ,[p]When I cook a turkey breast, I always do 2 since it takes no more time and you have the fire and the space to do it. You might like to brine one and not the other and do a direct comparison. I always have trouble remembering what last week's cook was like compared to this week's. Since the breast can be dry, brining a breast makes the most sense. I think it also helps if you are cooking a breast and then putting it away in the fridge for a day or two later.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    GumbyQ,
    ButterBall "frozen" bone in turkey and turkey breast are flavor enhanced, the "fresh" are not. If you want an all natural breast get one that is fresh.
    New Bob

• GumbyQ
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    Thank you all for the info. I'm going to do this one with just a rub and oil with the Polder. I'm still confused on the brinning though. How would you brine a 20lb bird or a piece of salmon for that matter? I am planning a whole bird for the New Year. In advance, Thank Y'all
    GumbyQ

• Elder Ward
    Options
    GumbyQ,
    I have not developed my own brining recipe yet as the variables are hugh. I get a lot of ideas from the cooking channel but do not copy them exactly just use the technic. here is a brine recipe I find extremly good. Ther are others on our forum that have great ones also. Salmon I prefer a rub and there are some great ones here also. Tuna is another story for that is out of this world bined.[p]Thanks and hope your first turns out great
    Elder Wardd

• Elder Ward
    Options
    0,6255,14417,00.html
    <p />GumbyQ,
    I have not developed my own brining recipe yet as the variables are hugh. I get a lot of ideas from the cooking channel but do not copy them exactly just use the technic. here is a brine recipe I find extremly good. Ther are others on our forum that have great ones also. Salmon I prefer a rub and there are some great ones here also. Tuna is another story for that is out of this world bined.[p]Thanks and hope your first turns out great
    Elder Wardd

• Elder Ward
    Options
    GumbyQ
    http://foodtv.com/foodtv/recipe/0,6255,14417,00.html
    Here is the address I can't seem to figure ut how to pste it a hyper link this mouring sorry.
    Elder Ward

• Hi GunbyQ,
    Here's a link on brining put together by SmokinOkie that covers turkey.
    http://cookshack.com/barbeque_guide/101/Brining101.htm[p]Here's a link with recipes for brining fish.
    http://www.starfishcons.com/pages/smkfbrne.htm
    rj

• GumbyQ,
    Here's how I brine turkey and salmon.[p]For a whole turkey I use a small cooler. I have one that a will hold the turkey and it take 2 gallons of brine to cover it. I put zip lock bags of ice into the cooler to keep the temp below 40 degrees. I find 12 hours is enough for my taste but some people brine longer. Make sure your brine is below 40 deg before you put in the turkey.

For salmon I always use filets and put them, along with the brine, into one gallon zip lock bags. I try to brine them about 6 hrs. [p]rj

• GumbyQ
    Options
    To All,
    Thanks so much, I think I have got a handle on this stuff. Great web sites. I found one myself with some good advice also. This forum is great, Thanks again.
    GumbyQ

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    GumbyQ,[p]Below is a link for a short 3 page article on brining that should answer most of your questions. I wouldn't brine a butterball because its already in a mixture. Thats why the meat has a 'butter' flavor. You don't want to brine something thats already in a brine. I suggest finding a free range or amish bird to brine. That way its all natural and has no chemicals added. [p]I would also be careful of over-brining. It makes meat mushy. The article below suggests 2 hours per pound when brining poultry. I prefer 1 hour per pound based on my own experiences. There is a learning curve involved as with any type of cooking.[p]Most of all, have fun![p]John
    [ul][li]http://bbq.about.com/library/weekly/aa112000a.htm[/ul]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]